Obama's Ghana Speech Streamed, Analyzed in Second Life

August 19, 2009 -

A speech delivered by Barack Obama in Ghana last month was the President's "most tweeted, Facebooked, and SMS'd event to date," according to Second Life Examiner (GP: although it's unclear how the site arrived at that conclusion).

The event was streamed live into both Second Life and Metaplace. The Click Heard Round the World offers its take on the event:

After President Obama's speech, there was a virtual debrief with three African experts: Ghanian musician DNA (Derrick Ashong), Ambassador Kenton Keith and African studies Professor Timothy Burke of Swarthmore College. People in Second Life and Metaplace could ask the speakers questions as well as engage in back channel chat.

Comments

Re: Obama's Ghana Speech Streamed, Analyzed in Second Life

It wasn’t historic or amazing, in fact representatives from that Government had to remind the Liberal US News Networks that Bush received the same welcome and more since his programs of mosquito nets and combating AIDS has decreased and saved millions of lives from the most devastating disease in and out of Africa, Malaria.

Look at this Liberal Reporter from CNN who literally jumped when this person reminded him of Bush’s reception when he tried to make a snub on Bush.

Re: Obama's Ghana Speech Streamed, Analyzed in Second Life

You know it really doesn't help the level of political discourse when you use terms like liberal and conservative as perjoratives. Both sides have good ideas and bad ideas and neither side is even remotely perfect.

Re: Obama's Ghana Speech Streamed, Analyzed in Second Life

You're absolutely right, but he does have a point.  NBC News interviewed a high-ranking official in their government, asking how happy they were that Barrack Obama took the time to grace them with his presence, if the people were as elated as they should be that he visited them.  The official stated that they were actually more excited when Bush visited, because he actually did things to help them.

---

Freedom of speech means the freedom to say ANYTHING, so long as it is the truth. This does not exclude anything that might hurt someone's feelings.

--- With the first link, the chain is forged.

PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm