Video Game Arcade in Congo

September 10, 2009 -

This photo from flickr user Tomas apparently shows a makeshift arcade in the Democratic Republic of Congo. It is just one of numerous photos from Congo uploaded by Tomas.

The photo is tagged Kinshasa, so it was likely shot in the capital city, which has some 10 million inhabitants.

Source:  via boingboing

Comments

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

why is this news

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

Simple.  Because it's interesting enough to the general readership to warrant reporting.

Andrew Eisen

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

How did you know that?  Did you poll the general readership first?

Just sayin', not trying to be a jerk.

"De minimus non curat lex"

"De minimus non curat lex"

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

My psychic powers are vast.

But fair enough.  I should have said, "I imagine GP felt it would be interesting enough to the general readership to warrant reporting."

Andrew Eisen

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

I'm taking its a PC arcade or they have consoles hooked up to the monitors. I wonder what games they have.

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

Monitors? No dude... those are old fat TVs. Remember those?

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

Cathode ray tube? What's a cathode ray tube?

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

I'm guessing the makeshift Internet cafe's around the corner.

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

Donkey Konga?

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

FIFA (soccer) for PS2 at least (that's what they all were playing when the photograph was taken).

WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am
prh99I am not a fan of QTEs. Toggle joystick to break away from an enemy is ok...01/24/2015 - 12:26am
Goth_Skunk@WonderKarp: *fistbump*01/24/2015 - 12:00am
ZippyDSMleeIts like they took the fiction from soemthing else and tried to impose it on the Turok IP 0-o01/23/2015 - 10:14pm