Valve’s Latest is Left 4 Dead Down Under

September 17, 2009 -

Via Gamasutra comes news that the Australian Government has refused to classify Valve Software’s multiplatform follow up Left 4 Dead 2.

Electronic Arts applied for the rating and was issued a classification of “RC,” for Refused Classification, meaning the game will have to be heavily modified to have any chance of being released in Australia. The ruling (PDF) stated:

These close in attacks cause copious amounts of blood spray and splatter, decapitations and limb dismemberment as well as locational damage where contact is made to the enemy which may reveal skeletal bits and gore.

Australia’s videogame ratings comprise four categories: G (General, very mild content), PG (Parental Guidance Recommended, mild content), M (Mature Audiences, moderate content) and MA15+ (not suitable for people under 15, strong content).

The original Left 4 Dead garnered a MA15+ rating in Australia.

Comments

Re: Valve’s Latest is Left 4 Dead Down Under

His name is Michael Atkinson, FYI.
---
I'm not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I'm not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don't know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

---

Re: Valve’s Latest is Left 4 Dead Down Under

What it boils down to is personal agendas, not children. Because why else would a government want to shape their policies for a demographic that has less rights than adults, including not being able to vote or participate in government?

Re: Valve’s Latest is Left 4 Dead Down Under

I always thought that all that is good and great is inevitable (ie. free trade, free speech) and all that is bad (racism, anti-globalism, big govenrment, and dare I say religion) will crumble. But it's countries like Australia that remind me that all it takes is for the wrong people to have so much power to turn that all into crap and set us back to the stone age.

WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm