Forbes Releases List of the Best States for Business

September 24, 2009 -

As everyone knows, the economy is pretty bad. There are signs it is getting better, but none of the 50 states have been immune, according to Forbes magazine. To that end, it released its yearly list of the states with the best business climate for 2009. Virginia tops the list at number 1.

Two states with a large video game foundation made the top 10. Washington came in at number 2, bolstered by the Microsoft behemoth. Texas came in at number 8, no doubt in part to the growing video game development community in Austin and the vicinity. California, home to many of the big video game publishers and developers, rose two spots from numer 40 last year to number 38.

Forbes detailed how it determined the rankings:

Our Best States ranking measures six vital categories for businesses: costs, labor supply, regulatory environment, current economic climate, growth prospects and quality of life. We factor in 33 different points of data to determine the ranks in the six main areas. Business costs, which include labor, energy and taxes are weighted the most heavily. We relied on nine different data providers. Moody's Economy.com is the most-utilized resource.

Many of the top states showed a more educated workforce, the magazine said.

For those who have trouble with the written word, Forbes also included a look at their list in pictures. If you want to digest all the data at once, then you can look at the handy table provided.

Comments

Re: Forbes Releases List of the Best States for Business

The current political climate in the US these days is very hostile to the well-being of businesses of any size.  It's almost irrelevant to even provide reports which underscore factors condusive to business/job growth anymore.

Re: Forbes Releases List of the Best States for Business

Hey! California is doing better than I expected! Things must be getting better!

Re: Forbes Releases List of the Best States for Business

I'm from wisconsin and I knew before even clicking the link that we would be extremely low.

Re: Forbes Release List of the Best States for Business

Conservatives crying liberal bias at "There are signs it's getting better" in 3...2...1..

On that note.. OUCH, Wisconsin.. Only 1 rank above Michigan at 48.. Also, WTF? There is a place WORSE for busniness than Michigan??

Poll