One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

October 1, 2009 - Andrew Eisen

Tuesday afternoon, Jack Thompson sent me his press release announcing that he was suing Facebook "for posting 'Jack Thompson Groups' that call for his death and physical harm."

Thompson sent three faxes to Facebook’s CEO demanding the immediate removal of the offending groups but after five weeks had received no response and the groups remained where they were.

I asked Thompson if he had tried simply clicking on the Report Group link (found at the bottom of every Facebook group) or emailing abuse@facebook.com.  According to the Facebook Safety page, complaints submitted via these methods will be addressed within 24 hours and those who email will receive a response within 72 hours detailing what actions, if any, were taken.

He responded by calling me a "total moron."

So, I browsed Facebook and found about 80 Jack Thompson groups.  Most were of the "I Hate Jack Thompson" or "Jack Thompson is a Douche" variety but I did find three that condoned violence towards the man.  I picked a group called "I will pay $50 to anyone who punches Jack Thompson in the face" and clicked the Report Group link.  Unsurprisingly, the group was removed less than a day later. (Old link to the now deleted group)

Incidentally, this particular group turned out to be the first of four cited in Thompson’s complaint.

So, you’re welcome, Thompson.

Glad I could help.

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Senior Correspondent Andrew Eisen...

Comments

Re: One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

Too funny :D

Can we see the letter Thompson sent back to you in response?

Re: One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

The only thing he sent in response was the press release GP reported on earlier: "Instant Confirmation from Around the Globe that Jack Thompson’s Suit against Facebook Is a Winner."

Andrew Eisen

Re: One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

you forgot to put quotes around the words 'press release'

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

岩「…I can see why Hasselbeck's worried about fake guns killing fake people. afterall, she's a fake journalist on a fake news channel」

Re: One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

Oh the irony of him calling you a total moron.

Re: One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

Its like the pot calling the silverware "black"!

I swear, JT likes the hate he receives. We should start a "Jack Thompson Emotional Support Group." That will drive him out of (whats left of) his mind!

Re: One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

People should function like computer software- they need to shut down once they throw an exception they didn't catch themselves.

Poll