Ex-EA Dev Fashioning Game Set During Iran Riots

October 2, 2009 -

Backing up previous comments made about the value of including political statements in games, developer Borut Pfeifer is working on a title set amidst the riots of post-election Iran.

Pfeifer, an ex-full time Electronic Arts employee who is now developing his own games, while still working part time for EA, is attempting to fund his game’s development on the Kickstarter website. The 2D puzzle/action game aims to be a downloadable title for the PC or Xbox 360 and will feature around two hours of game play.

Pfeifer, who was one of the few developers to weigh in on the Six Days in Fallujah controversy, explained the impetus for making the game:

I’ve been really passionate about using games to explore more serious topics or themes. Most games are still about fun, diversionary topics. There’s even a lot of professional game designers who don’t think we can treat serious subjects appropriately, which I think is bullshit.

Pfeifer is aiming for $15,000 in seed money to develop the game. So far he has 30 backers and $2,107 pledged towards his goal.

Thanks to GP reader Shane for pointing us towards the story and also to DarkSaber for being another swell GP-er in general.

Comments

Re: Ex-EA Dev Fashioning Game Set During Iran Riots

Also I say the same things about the myth of Violent and Sexual Videogames turning people into serial killers and rapists.

I'd say from my experience of playing Violent and Sexual Videogames, that opinion is totally Bull Shit.

TBoneTony

Re: Ex-EA Dev Fashioning Game Set During Iran Riots

I love it when the word 'Bull Shit' is used in such a strong and powerful manner in a way that they say that they don't believe in what is thought to be right from others.

TBoneTony

MechaCrashYeah, even I think IP needs to dial it back.05/22/2015 - 12:35am
Mattsworknamesays05/21/2015 - 11:17pm
Andrew EisenThat's an... interesting way to interpret that.05/21/2015 - 8:36pm
Goth_SkunkAnd re BBC vs Rockstar: Ahh. I missed that. Woops!05/21/2015 - 8:33pm
DocMelonheadYou could say that the Mary Sue only interested in Gender issues in pop culture, and they only see GamerGate as a Hate group that fight for the oppressive status quo.05/21/2015 - 8:22pm
MechaCrashWell, can't blame him for not expanding on it and missing stories here. Sealioning people demanding proof of claims and then calling them liars when they provide it is busy work!05/21/2015 - 8:20pm
Andrew EisenRe: Mary Sue - Uh, why exactly? Re: Rockstar - Yep, we reported that earlier today.05/21/2015 - 8:12pm