Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

October 5, 2009 -

A new Electronic Arts videogame testing facility located on the Louisiana State University campus has the state of Florida worried about a full-court press to lure developers to the Bayou State.

While EA was not looking to open a new testing center, reports the Orlando Sentinel, incentives signed into law earlier this year by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) were “too good to pass up.”  The facility at LSU should eventually grow to comprise 200 part-time student workers and 20 full-timers, some of who moved over from Maitland, Florida-based EA Tiburon.

Craig Hagen, EA's director of government affairs for North America, offered:

Florida is at risk of not being competitive with other states relative to these incentives programs. I understand the fiscal pressure that Florida faces, and it is a difficult thing, but they need to realize the economic incentives are what should grow the economy and turn the pressure down."

The article also notes that in order to prepare its students for jobs with developers, LSU is now offering a digital-media-based curriculum.

Comments

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

I actually finished them game in one sitting when I was a kid... I tried to repeat this feat today after work and I got owned at the third stage LOL.

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

I loved Bayou Billy

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

Ugh, I remember wasting $2 renting that game.  Oops, I think I just dated myself...

"De minimus non curat lex"

"De minimus non curat lex"

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

Bayou Billy is one of my all-time NES favorites and I still have it. I'm sure people remember how hard the game was and I love that.

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

The second shooting level always pissed me off.

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

That game is awesome and I own it. I just wish I had an NES with a working Zapper.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

You've gotta be kidding, that game was unbelievably frustrating.

"De minimus non curat lex"

"De minimus non curat lex"

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

Look up Spoony One's review of the game on youtube, it's hilarious. :)

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

Those evil Republicans offering Tax Incentives instead of taxing businesses till they go overseas, how dare these Republican States! Obama will provide!

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

Who cares? They got the Saints. And they're 4-0. Who dat!!

Poll

Did you get a new video game for Christmas?:

CMinerI blame North Korea.12/25/2014 - 11:49pm
MechaTama31For the last few weeks, the GP site fails to load about 2/3 of the times I try.12/25/2014 - 11:13pm
MaskedPixelanteOK, is GP having trouble loading for anyone but me?12/25/2014 - 9:21pm
Matthew Wilsonits a bunch of script kiddies. ddosing is one of the easiest thing to do,and most companies can not stop it sadly.12/25/2014 - 5:05pm
MaskedPixelanteI like Nintendo as much as the next person, they're pretty much the only company putting out the games I want to play, but that was pretty embarassing to have NNID go down due to overuse.12/25/2014 - 4:35pm
MaskedPixelanteSee? It's NOT a repeat of last year's fiasco.12/25/2014 - 4:22pm
PHX CorpLizard squad is responsible for The XBL/PSN shutdown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSpZvsoWvig12/25/2014 - 4:17pm
IanCOh shut up bitching about Nintendo. At least they advised people to downloading updates before the big day. Sony/MS? Not a peep.12/25/2014 - 3:50pm
MaskedPixelanteBoth PSN and Xbox Live are down. Since I'm sure Sony and Microsoft have better online support than Nintendo did last year, this isn't from "everyone logging onto their new devices all at once".12/25/2014 - 3:48pm
prh99John Romero's Christmas present, a custom Icon of Sin sculpture. http://www.pcgamer.com/john-romero-gets-the-icon-of-sin-for-christmas/12/25/2014 - 3:37am
Matthew Wilsonthe interview will be on youtube/xb1/ andriod today.12/24/2014 - 1:05pm
james_fudge1900's?12/24/2014 - 12:56pm
james_fudgeYeah we could go way way back :)12/24/2014 - 12:56pm
E. Zachary KnightCopyright law in general has been broken since at least 1976. Could be even earlier than that.12/24/2014 - 12:24pm
james_fudgeWhat he said :) They want to make it worse than it already is.12/24/2014 - 12:14pm
Papa MidnightDMCA has been broken since 1998. Good luck getitng Congress to do something about it.12/24/2014 - 11:39am
Craig R.At least they owned up to the mistake. But doesn't change the fact that DMCA is thoroughly broken.12/23/2014 - 5:23pm
MaskedPixelanteSpeaking of Dark Souls OMG I'M MAKING ACTUAL PROGRESS WTH IS THIS WHAAAAAAA12/23/2014 - 10:49am
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144500932&postcount=740 Yup, DSFix was part of an unrelated take down, and is being resolved.12/23/2014 - 8:04am
prh99Of course had they not done such a rush on the port we wouldn't dsfix to make the game not look and play like ass. 720 internal renders aren't so hot scaled to 1080.12/23/2014 - 7:38am