Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

October 5, 2009 -

A new Electronic Arts videogame testing facility located on the Louisiana State University campus has the state of Florida worried about a full-court press to lure developers to the Bayou State.

While EA was not looking to open a new testing center, reports the Orlando Sentinel, incentives signed into law earlier this year by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) were “too good to pass up.”  The facility at LSU should eventually grow to comprise 200 part-time student workers and 20 full-timers, some of who moved over from Maitland, Florida-based EA Tiburon.

Craig Hagen, EA's director of government affairs for North America, offered:

Florida is at risk of not being competitive with other states relative to these incentives programs. I understand the fiscal pressure that Florida faces, and it is a difficult thing, but they need to realize the economic incentives are what should grow the economy and turn the pressure down."

The article also notes that in order to prepare its students for jobs with developers, LSU is now offering a digital-media-based curriculum.

Comments

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

I actually finished them game in one sitting when I was a kid... I tried to repeat this feat today after work and I got owned at the third stage LOL.

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

I loved Bayou Billy

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

Ugh, I remember wasting $2 renting that game.  Oops, I think I just dated myself...

"De minimus non curat lex"

"De minimus non curat lex"

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

Bayou Billy is one of my all-time NES favorites and I still have it. I'm sure people remember how hard the game was and I love that.

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

The second shooting level always pissed me off.

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

That game is awesome and I own it. I just wish I had an NES with a working Zapper.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

You've gotta be kidding, that game was unbelievably frustrating.

"De minimus non curat lex"

"De minimus non curat lex"

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

Look up Spoony One's review of the game on youtube, it's hilarious. :)

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

Those evil Republicans offering Tax Incentives instead of taxing businesses till they go overseas, how dare these Republican States! Obama will provide!

Re: Developer Incentives Already Paying Off for Louisiana

Who cares? They got the Saints. And they're 4-0. Who dat!!

Poll

Poll: Is it censorship when a private retailer decides not to sell a particular video game?:

DocMelonheadAlso, IP you're no better than GamerGate; and yes, it ENABLE death threats, but not encourage them.05/30/2015 - 12:06pm
DocMelonheadSo who agree that the report buttion should be put back up.05/30/2015 - 12:05pm
DocMelonheadalso We all agree that you're annoy as fuck IP05/30/2015 - 12:05pm
DocMelonheadGoth Skunk never gone victim blaming05/30/2015 - 12:04pm
DocMelonheadHarassment=Bullying.05/30/2015 - 12:01pm
IronPatriotBecause gamergate death threats, rape threats and doxxing are SO SIMILAR to pointing out the facts and logical failings of gamergate.05/30/2015 - 11:29am
IronPatriotLet's see. Gamergate sends death and rape threats against innocent women, and goth skunk blames the victims for getting harrassed. I point out gamergate harrassment and victim-blaming, and the pro-gamergaters squeal that they have been harassed? LOL!05/30/2015 - 11:28am
WonderkarpAs a life long X-Men fan, I cant tell you how much this annoys me http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/30/between-the-panels-marvels-merchandising-problem05/30/2015 - 10:23am
MechaCrashOh, no, I totally agree with you that Iron is being a jerk and needs to stop, but isn't the usual GG suggesstion for harassment "just ignore it, grow a thicker skin, don't report it"?05/30/2015 - 9:22am
Conster...and even the more stubborn and annoying ones are downright pleasant when compared to IronPatriot's behavior. His behavior is harassment regardless of whether it's aimed at pro-GG or anti-GG people, and it has to stop.05/30/2015 - 8:55am
ConsterMechaCrash: is this about Goth_Skunk's complaint against IronPatriot? Because while I'm anti-GG and strongly disagree with a lot of the stuff the pro-GG people on here say, most of them disapprove of harassment, even if it's 'in the name of GamerGate'...05/30/2015 - 8:55am
MechaCrashMan, some people are just...so immune to noticing irony, you know? The mind boggles.05/30/2015 - 8:35am
InfophileBut hey, I'm not a mod here. It's up to them05/30/2015 - 7:36am
InfophileThat's really not conducive to a good discussion. It just puts people on the defensive. So yeah, I really think IP should try to hold back on that. I'm not sure a ban is in order unless they show they can't or won't change, though05/30/2015 - 7:36am
InfophileLooking through IP's recent posts, there are some that do add to the discussion. There are also a handful which add nothing and are just jabs or point-scoring. It feels like IP is treating the comments more like a battleground than a discussion, honestly05/30/2015 - 7:34am
MattsworknameAhh, that explains why I wasn't aware. I don't follow, like ,nor care for soccer05/30/2015 - 6:50am
Goth_SkunkThe top dog at FIFA.05/30/2015 - 6:49am
MattsworknameWhose Blatter conster?05/30/2015 - 6:42am
ConsterSpeaking of non-video games for a second, I'm seriously disappointed in people for re-electing Blatter, and disgusted by his speech afterwards.05/30/2015 - 6:32am
ConsterHe's at least 5 times as bad as GS.05/30/2015 - 6:31am