Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

October 8, 2009 -

American-developed war-themed videogames “tend to protect and justify America’s interests” according to a professor from a Japanese university.

Apparently referring to the U.S. Army game America’s Army specifically, Peter Mantello, a media studies lecturer at Ritsumeikan University in Japan, made the remarks during the War 2.0 conference, which took place on the Australian National University campus.  The conference addresses political violence and new media reports Aussie newspaper The Age.

“Flatten the adversary” is a typical approach of these types of titles added Mantello, who also discussed how foreign landscapes and cities are characteristically depicted in war games based in the Middle East:

The cityscapes are marked as primitive space. They show no sign of ordinary life or ordinary people … The special op soldier … poses as the necessary solution, the civilising instrument of modernisation, the democratic equaliser who through superior technological hardware and gutsy marine bravado will vanquish pre-modern evil.

Mantello’s bio on the War 2.0 conference website lists him as a “serious gamer,” who’s recent research “examines how the aesthetics, dynamics and politics of First Person Shooter (FPS) gameplay… transform videogames into poignant cultural artifacts.”


Comments

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

Let me make this VERY EASY, for all you to understand.

What BIG, FPS is coming out in November of this year? 

Modern Warfare 2 (the next, adregenaline, addicting game after COD4).

Why is this important?

As we saw with Grand Theft Auto IV (and all its incarnations), people came out of the wood work.  To bad mouth it, say its the scourge of our times.  It horrible effects children, and deranges their moral self (not to mention their spiritual one).  Who were the one's doing all this ranting?

The ones who wanted to jump on the bandwagon, and get their name (or organization) that no one had heard of before, in to the press.  Become famous (if only for a few moments), and maybe try to bring followers to their cause.  We'll see more idiots like this has the months draw on, from all sorts of places.  Its all for their ego, and has NOTHING, to do with children, or post-war Vets from Iraq & Afghanistan.  It'll have nothing to do with what the orginal idiot complained about (that started this thread on Game Politics).

So, lets keep this in mind, when we heard of the latest wannabe-Jack Thompson comes screaming on to Fox News to bamble a bunch of incohorent, useless, and ill-informed crap, to people that dont know better.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

This is PC to the point in IGNORING REALITY.

First of all, as has been pointed out already in this thread, a major zone of conflict in the world today is the Middle East and the Horn of Africa. Do you want them to set a realistic near future war scenario in CANADA?

Secondly, the Russians have admitted in the past that they are having "difficulties" coming up with the full accounting of their entire nuclear arsenal. There have been ultranationalist hardline attempts on the Russian government since the fall of communism and let's not ignoring the substantial democratic retreat that has occurred under the Putin/Medevev government complex.

Bottom line it is extremely easy to see a scenario like that which played out in COD4 from actually happening and like it or not who would be the most likely military forces to be involved? The Canadians? The French? The Norwegians? The Spanish? The Mexicans? The Brazilians?

No, the most likely agencies involved are a coalition of U.S., British, Australian, and Russian troops, with some other nations making contributions.

Finally, there are very good reasons why 99% of the Arabs in COD 4 were bad. As has been pointed out rendering civilians and other "non-combatants" takes substantial processing power that in the context of making a GAME is better sent towards enemy behavior, rendering and movement. Not to mention that there would have been a MASSIVE shitstorm if you could, even accidentally, kill civilians, the game would never have gotten out of the gate.

I'm not going to comment on your Black Hawk Down, my uncle was a pilot in that battle so I really can't look at it objectively.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

> This is PC to the point in IGNORING REALITY.

No, this is called *politics*. And propaganda. Just because you consider it "REALITY" doesn't mean it actually is.

> First of all, as has been pointed out already in this
> thread, a major zone of conflict in the world today is
> the Middle East and the Horn of Africa.

That wasn't my point. Blatant racism and stereotypes were.

> Do you want them to set a realistic near future war
> scenario in CANADA?

Also not my point.

> Secondly, the Russians have admitted in the past that
> they are having "difficulties" coming up with the full
> accounting of their entire nuclear arsenal.

Which allows WHAT to be correct? The fact that the game basically says they are incompetent? Or that the West should intervene at any cost?

> There have been ultranationalist hardline attempts on the
> Russian government since the fall of communism

WHICH HAVE ALL FAILED TO THIS VERY DAY. And the last serious attempt was not last year but almost SOME 20 YEARS ago.

> and let's not ignoring the substantial democratic retreat
> that has occurred under the Putin/Medevev government > complex.

Very much comparable to the loss of democratic rights and a massive engagement in warmongering in the USA and UK. Thank you for the reminder!

Besides, compared to Yelzin (who willingly followed the Chicago Boys to sell off his country and was therefore considered a "good guy" by the West) there have been far more democratic rights than before!

It's just the point that your media will show any attempt of the Russian government to interfere with freedom of speech and civil rights as a "proof that they are still evil communists" while any attempt of your very own government to do that is called "fight against terrorism" - and almost immediately dropped under the carpet.

> Bottom line it is extremely easy to see a scenario like
> that which played out in COD4 from actually happening

Bullshit! It's propaganda as well.

> and like it or not who would be the most likely military
> forces to be involved?

Which of course could only be...

> The Canadians? The French? The Norwegians? The Spanish?
> The Mexicans? The Brazilians?

Ah, you actually mean the U.N. Which your brave government has been undermining (e.g. by not paying) for DECADES and your media is considering "weak". "Divide et impera!" US propaganda at work.

> No, the most likely agencies involved are a coalition of
> U.S., British, Australian, and Russian troops, with some
> other nations making contributions.

Coalition of the Willing Reloaded. Strange, no word of the U.N. Not on your radar, isn't it?

> Finally, there are very good reasons why 99% of the Arabs
> in COD 4 were bad.

Now we arrive at the TECHNICAL issues.

> Not to mention that there would have been a MASSIVE
> shitstorm if you could, even accidentally, kill
> civilians, the game would never have gotten out of the
> gate.

Hm, but some other games have actually SUCCEEDED in just doing that. "Inacceptable civilian casualty." Besides, you don't see ANY civilians at all ANYWHERE. Only in one single cutscene at the beginning. They just don't exist. It would be somehow OK if it wouldn't fit into an agenda of showing these conflicts to be only "good vs. evil", soldiers vs. terrorists.

And it's just so strange that especially in the current conflicts down in the middle east (Iraq, Afghanistan) the so called "asymmetric" warfare has almost become the standard. Which just means that EVERY F**KING CIVILIAN is considered an enemy combatant. Or sometimes just called "collateral damage" if killed by the dozen. Thank you for the reminder!

> I'm not going to comment on your Black Hawk Down, my
> uncle was a pilot in that battle so I really can't look
> at it objectively.

My own family was split in two during the Nazi era. Two of my great grand uncles fought to the last bullet for the Fuehrer (and not just as grunts and because they had to) - while a number of my jewish relatives was murdered in concentration camps.

And you Americans wonder why we Europeans have become so anti-war and touchy on those matters?

ZAR.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

So in other words, you're right and I'm wrong? 

You present your arguments as if they are facts, while at the same time telling me "Just because you call it reality doesn't mean it is."

The UN is most certainly on my radar, how's Libya doing on the human rights committee? I'm sorry, the UN is a fairly impotent organization. It had a lot of promise but has degenerated into a glorified debating society.

You're reading an awful lot into a game, maybe through your own prism of bias? It presents a realistic "what if" scenario. Deciding that it must be "propoganda" seems to me to be somewhat prejudiced of you. What any American game made game that creates a scenario in which the U.S. is a good guy is some kind of propogands tool?

Me thinks you have a prejudice against Americans that clouds your judgment.

What blatant racism and stereotypes? That there are ruthless, brutal dictators in the Middle East and Horn of Africa? That there has been a long history of violent conflict and civil war in the region? Sorry that's not blatant racism that's REALITY.

You're just looking for a reason to be correct and to justify your OWN prejudice against Americans so you scream "propoganda" anytime they are depicted in a decent light.

COD 4 was meant to be an arcade style shooter. It's a "run and gun" game. It's not meant to be a deep tactical simulator in which civilian issues are a major point. That doesn't make it propoganda, that makes it a run and gun shooter designed for fast paced action.

Obviously it isn't REALISTIC, if it was your screen would do a lot more than turn red when you get shot.

Everyone needs to stop dissecting everything and looking for hidden meanings.

Even Freud said "Sometimes a dream is just a dream."

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda


> So in other words, you're right and I'm wrong?

No, you're trying to push your point of view and I'm having a different opinion. It's called a discussion.

At least, it would be, if you wouldn't play judge and jury coming to a sentence without actually following the debate.

> You present your arguments as if they are facts, while at
> the same time telling me "Just because you call it
> reality doesn't mean it is."

Exactly my point! And we could continue this thread forever by simply repeating this fact over and over. ;)

> The UN is most certainly on my radar, how's Libya doing
> on the human rights committee?

This discussion is not about the UN. It's about racism and propaganda in COD4. And - maybe to a certain extent - the fact that you believe a certain propaganda while I believe in something different.

> I'm sorry, the UN is a fairly impotent organization.

Yep. Especially if the biggest contributor doesn't pay up his fees, undermines its major policies and counteracts against its agenda with his own organisations.

> It had a lot of promise but has degenerated into a
> glorified debating society.

Which is exactly the same thing that Hitler said about the League of Nations...

> You're reading an awful lot into a game

"It's only a game", I know. And movies are only movies. And books are only books. Subliminal? Mimetic? Ah, it's all just media, not real. Like the Bible, the Communist Manifest and Mein Kampf.

> maybe through your own prism of bias?

Well, as stated above, the very same can be said about you. Obviously a strong believer in the "facts" as preached by some and believed by many others. And if only enough people believe in something it will become real. Won't it?

> It presents a realistic "what if" scenario.

By using current events, racist stereotypes and big power ideology as a backdrop.

> Deciding that it must be "propoganda" seems to me to
> be somewhat prejudiced of you.

And not calling it propaganda because you yourself believe in the very same politics this game promotes is actually quite naive.

But then again, it's only a game - just like real life politics. One loses, one wins, two million civilians die.

> What any American game made game that creates a scenario
> in which the U.S. is a good guy is some kind of propogands tool?

What movie that creates a scenario in which Soviet Russia or Nazi Germany are the good guys is some kind of propaganda tool?

It all depends on whether you see a country as the "good guys" or not. Which raises the question if any country has the right to be "better" than the rest of the world.

> Me thinks you have a prejudice against Americans that
> clouds your judgment.

Well, and me thinks that you lack knowledge, criticism and experience to judge politics and people.

> What blatant racism and stereotypes?

It's all in my answer. I don't need to repeat myself.

> That there are ruthless, brutal dictators in the Middle
> East and Horn of Africa?

And all people living there are shown as terrorists or violent psychopaths... Fox News.

> That there has been a long history of violent conflict
> and civil war in the region?

Mostly initiated and fueled by great powers - for centuries. Check out the Afghan wars in the 19th century. And I also bet they don't teach you a lot about William Walker.

And now we have a game that basically says, "we need to go there and do the right thing, take the nukes away, bring freedom, kill them all". But it's only a game - you know, for young people who don't take it serious or don't care. No propaganda, only entertainment. Just like the movies Goebbels produced in the 1930s (or better: let produce).

> Sorry that's not blatant racism that's REALITY.

And a very limited scope of reality it is.

> You're just looking for a reason to be correct

I don't give a rat's ass about correctness! I enjoy the hell out of Saints Row 2 and Soldier of Fortune. Even that graphics demo CrySis was enjoyable - although extremely ridiculous in a politically context (the "evil commie bastards" aka Northern Koreans as an enemy is like Monaco declaring war on the US).

> and to justify your OWN prejudice against Americans

If it's based on facts it's not a prejudice. At least that's the way you want to explain to me that your point of view is "reality".

> so you scream "propoganda" anytime they are depicted
> in a decent light.

You're evading my questions.

> COD 4 was meant to be an arcade style shooter.

Ah, and that's why they chose THAT setting during that time. What a COINCIDENCE!

> It's a "run and gun" game.

And Rambo: First Blood Part II is only a "run and gun" action movie. Political context? Nah. Never heard of.

> It's not meant to be a deep tactical simulator
> in which civilian issues are a major point.

Just like Fox News - if every civilian is a terrorist, why show them at all?

> That doesn't make it propoganda, that makes it a
> run and gun shooter designed for fast paced action.

And propaganda must always be declared as such. They even say so on the poster: "Hello, this movie/game/book is propaganda."

> Obviously it isn't REALISTIC, if it was your screen
> would do a lot more than turn red when you get shot.

Propaganda always shows the enemies as subhuman and the act of removing them as "necessary" and "humane". A clean act. No blood. At least not too much. Many thanks for the reminder!

> Everyone needs to stop dissecting everything and looking
> for hidden meanings.

Yep, great mantra for dictators. Worked during Hitler, worked during Stalin, worked during Bush, will work in the future. Just don't think too much, believing is all you need to do.

> Even Freud said "Sometimes a dream is just a dream."

Completely out of context and completely beside the point.

To leave with a much better and suitable quote:

"I came here for a good argument." [...] "Thank you!"

ZAR.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

1) He specifically refers to AA? Let's see a game, made by the U.S. Army designed around drawing people to the Army? You mean it portrays the Army as the good guy? Shocking! I'm dumbfounded.

2) Does he mention say the biggest war game of recent memory, Call of Duty 4? Ya know, the one where you spend most of your time as a BRITISH SAS soldier? The one where the Americans get their asses handed to them by a nuclear bomb? The one where Nicolai goes "The Americans are making a mistake, they'll never take Al-Asad alive!"

Does he get into that at any point?

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

"2) Does he mention say the biggest war game of recent memory, Call of Duty 4? Ya know, the one where you spend most of your time as a BRITISH SAS soldier? The one where the Americans get their asses handed to them by a nuclear bomb? The one where Nicolai goes "The Americans are making a mistake, they'll never take Al-Asad alive!" You mean the very same game where 99% of the arabs shown were either terrorists or violent psychopaths? Except for a few "good" civilians who get shot in the beginning? And the Russians are either incompetent (hell, they even need the British SAS to sort out their problems) or just another bunch of terrorists and violent psychopaths? The fact alone that those terrorists could get an atomic bomb so easily said clearly "the Russians are incompetent, we should take away their weapons - or take action". Yeah, most action films pretty much do those things the very same way, but then again, why shouldn't they also be considered propaganda? (BLACK HAWK DOWN anyone?) And the "British point of view" reminded me a lot of GUNGA DIN* - Britannia must take action, bad Arabs and Russians die by the dozen and the few good, but weak Russians should get out of the way. ZAR. *http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/9014/gunga-din/

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

Found a podcast of his lecture. His lecture starts at 1:01:00. Am listening to it right now...

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/podcasts/WAR2o_session_002.mp3

http://vgresearcher.wordpress.com/

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

We're making up for all the times that the Japanese use us as the "Evil Foreigner" in anime and manga.  Wether you need a whole tyranical country to fight against, or just a douchebag exchange student to hate, America is the favorite choice of Japanese writers.

What I'm saying is, you write what works with your audience.  Yeah, most US-based war games let Americans be the heroes.  When the Japanese write war fiction, they get to be the heroes.  The only difference is the ammount of giant robots.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

I'm surprised no one has mentioned action movies yet as they've been the same for decades - at least the 80s with the same style of ragtag Middle Eastern terrorists as those aforementioned AK-47 wielding manaics. Iron-Man is a recent example, though at least Stark gains an Egyptian ally (Y'know, to show a bit of balance and all) and later on saves some Afghan civilians. Meanwhile, the movie couldn't show the US army in a remotely negatory manner as that was the only way to get their assistance and permission to use their hardware in the movie.

For games, I'd love to see something more interesting to these modern conflicts, though, rather than mere run and gunning. Deus Ex springs to mind ("What good's an honest soldier if he's ordered to behave like a terrorist?"), though if that was in a modern context then maybe there'd be an outcry in the US over a player being able to go against the current government.

I've read that soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan are taught the cultural basics of the areas they go in to - imagine that translated to a game where your team is sent in to a village and must calmly negotiate a peaceful resolution to a situation, where if you fail (By acting aggressively and waving your weapons about) then shooting breaks out and all sides will take casualties. That wouldn't be the basis of a game but could be an interesting alternative for players to consider.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

"The cityscapes are marked as primitive space. They show no sign of ordinary life or ordinary people …  "

Placed within the context of the (understandable) allegation that American-made wargames are also American-made propaganda, this would seem to indicate that this is an intentional design decision, designed to eliminate the realities of war and civilian casualties from the landscape.

However, this is generally a feature of most such games, regardless of developer or political perspective.

In Halo 2 and Halo 3, aliens from outer space invade a city in Africa. Those environments are also simple, primitive, and devoid of ordinary life. Because ordinary life steals processor cycles you need for enemies, vehicles and allies. Unless the presentation of such an environment is central to the game's design (as it is in Assassin's Creed, for example) you can expect such elements to be removed or minimized, not for political reasons, but for technical ones.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

A game was developed in Japan called Metal Wolf Chaos where you palyed as an American battling the Japanese.

Methinks he needs to do some research.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

Methinks you need to do some research because that's not what the game was about, moron.

It was about the the Vice President taking over the US in a coup d'etat and the President fighting back in a heavily armed mech. And it was awesome!

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

"Flatten the adversary is a typical approach of these types of titles"

As opposed to what exactly? It's war, that's what happens. What would he have them do, sit down for tea and calmly discuss their issues? Yeah go and try that and let me know how that works out for ya.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

Maybe he'd prefer it if you went around targeting schools and marketplaces instead of the enemy.

But seriously, somebody make this guy sit down and play some Red Faction 3.  You play as a terrorist in that game, in all but name.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

someone already posted it, but this is an American game, made for the majority of american/english audience (ie: Europe, Canada, and maybe Australia if they tone down the violence).  So it goes without saying that the game would be protrayed as such.  If not...well I'd hate to see what those crazy activists would do.

---

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

(Note that I only did a quick skimming, so feel free to point out inconsistencies/errors)

I disagree with this guy. America's Army is made with the help of the army, so of COURSE it'd be propagandic towards Americans. That's like saying that Army-sponsered posters would be propagandic towards Americans. DUH.

As for other games, I still disagree. There haven't been a boatload of recent games to use as a reference, and most feature both American characters and characters from other nations. Seeing as it's an American-made game, it'd make sense that many characters are American (there aren't a lot of military forces to take the part of besides SAS, USMC, USAF, US Army, and a few other not-quite-as-well-known military groups). We clearly wouldn't be playing as bad guys, and the common bad guy to fight nowadays is terrorist, and most terrorist organizations today are religious extremists or ultranationalists. So, there aren't a lot of realistic ways to make a military game around our time period without having American or British or Russian military forces on the good side.

-If an apple a day keeps the doctor away....what happens when a doctor eats an apple?-

-Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis-It is best to endure what you cannot change-

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

This approach is a bit too close to Lyndon LaRouche-type conspiracy theory.  The US government has hardly gotten around to nationalizing the games industry (yet).

Back during the 1990's when Japanese games dominated the console space, games were rife with Japanese-oriented characters and sensibilities.  Are we to argue that characters like Ryu (Street Fighter) to be propaganda for the idealized Japanese concept of "Indominitable Samurai Spirit"?

I've never been amused when many so-called intellectual-types try to find grand schemes behind everything.  They often seem unable to comprehend that cultrues are hardly the malleable, controlled, and inorganic entities they think them to be.  This mindset is the same that produced the belief that our cultures are secretly and deliberately run by people of certian strata- hence idiotic concepts like the "patriarchy".

The games industry of today is hardly run by the US military.  Relax and go back to your hemp and hackey sack.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

So, you completely misread what he was saying huh?

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

I wonder if he has tired Mercenaries, which did a good job of having daily life stuff in it.

I actually found his comments interesting, though in many ways they are basicly just a summary of the state of things rather then really diving into the underlying causes.  Either way it is interesting stuff.

I do know from a technical perspective, throwing in good 'daily life' AIs into an FPS is a headache and tends to eat CPU.

Hrm.  I can not find any actual mention of 'propaganda' from the guy though.  I wonder if this is another case of the new GP editor putting words in people's mouths again or misrepresenting the other side (for instance, painting the voice actor contract in terms of making overpaid actors richer).

I think GP needs to take a step back on the headline commentary a bit.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

Of course he didn't go into the underlying cause.  The fact that these so-called "Pro-America" games sell, while a (for lack of a better term) "Anti-America" game most likely wouldn't, would totally destroy the point he's trying to make.

---

He was dead when I got here.

--- With the first link, the chain is forged.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

Why would that destroy his point?  Sounds like it would be one of the causes.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

I'd be pretty confident to say that the reason American War games generally feature American soldiers defeating foriegn adversaries is because that's what sells in America. I mean, in all reality, we are bombarded left and right with propaganda and are funneled into the frame of mind that the US is always the "Good guy" and those Asian, African, Middle Eastern, or Russian guys with the AK-47's are the "Bad Guys."

The socio-political reasons why the American soldier is there doesn't matter, because he is there to kill those Communist, Socialist, Muslim-Extremist, Terrorist Maniacs. That's the whole reason games like that sell. I can't imagine that a game where you played as a muslim defending your country from American invaders would sell very well. It's just not parallel to the socially accepted way of thinking in this country.

In fact, even in games where you are given a choice between the USMC and other foreign powers, like in Battlefield 2, there were plenty of people who would leave the game if they were autobalanced onto the non-US side. They would literally refuse to play as the enemy, because thats "Anti-American."

So, yeah.. As interesting as it may be to study, I wouldn't be so quick to call American FPS's "Propaganda." I mean, these companies are just making a product with the best chance to appeal to the mouthbreathing "USA! USA! USA!! Kill the Iraqis!!" crowd that makes up a large amount of the American population.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

Careful, you're using common sense there, it's a dangerous thing that much of the Earth's population knows nothing about. 

---

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

He's right, but it isn't something entirely new. Even games going back to the NES era had a lot of pro-America themes.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

insert obligatory 'are you a bad enough dude to save the president?' reference here.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

I'm not touching this with a 50 foot pole.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

Add an extra foot for good luck.

At least he's supporting the argument that "games can be political", even if it's in a negative connotation.

Re: Lecturer: U.S. Made War Games American Propaganda

Wow...any action title can be skewed to support propagandist themes....

Also there are a few shooters that take palce on US soil so...meh....sensationalisim at hock here...


Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! Stop supporting big media and furthering the criminalization of consumers!! http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/


Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Let's renegotiate them.

---

http://zippydsm.deviantart.com/

 
Forgot your password?
Username :
Password :

Poll

Who's responsible for crappy Netflix performance on Verizon?:

Shout box

You're not permitted to post shouts.
Andrew EisenThe Steam controller may have changed again. http://www.vg247.com/2014/07/23/steam-controller-valve/07/23/2014 - 6:46pm
james_fudgePlease use the comments section for bitching about specific articles :) We do read them, after all.07/23/2014 - 10:52am
Andrew EisenThat's unfair but thank you for the tip on the Reddit thread containing the Kickstarter message to backers. The article has been updated.07/23/2014 - 10:50am
SleakerHere's the message Areal backers recieved from Kickstarter: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2beqlc/areal_kickstarter_suspended/07/23/2014 - 8:52am
Sleaker@MW - I still think Cogent/Level3 hookups were lacking prior to the comcast switch, but I do think verizon is being dumb here.07/23/2014 - 12:06am
Andrew EisenOf course it's a question. It's got a question mark and everything!07/22/2014 - 6:43pm
Matthew WilsonHate to say it, but that poll is not even a question. there is too much evidence that points to Verizon. http://www.extremetech.com/computing/186576-verizon-caught-throttling-netflix-traffic-even-after-its-pays-for-more-bandwidth07/22/2014 - 6:23pm
Andrew EisenHuh. The new Battlefield has been delayed to early next year. Are you feeling okay, EA? http://blogs.battlefield.com/2014/07/bfh-will-launch-2015/07/22/2014 - 6:11pm
SleakerWest End Games - Areal developers just got their Kickstarter suspended. Might want to dump that 'fully funded' status.07/22/2014 - 12:08pm
MaskedPixelanteHas anyone who bought it gotten their Sims 2 Ultimate Edition upgrade yet? Still waiting on mine, especially since they're supposed to be out by today.07/22/2014 - 10:45am
IanCDynasty Warriors 8 for the PS4 finally has the option to turn off the OTT depth of field that made the game look like a blurry mess. Only a few months behind the JP version patch...07/22/2014 - 10:17am
NeenekoI see nothing in Section 111 that would exclude IP transmission. It even explicitly includes 'other transmission methods'07/22/2014 - 9:28am
ZippyDSMleehttp://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2014/07/19/ruling_aereo_is_not_a_cable_company07/22/2014 - 8:13am
ZippyDSMleelul what?07/22/2014 - 7:53am
ZippyDSMleehttp://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/07/bungie-cross-generation-destiny-wouldnt-be-fair-to-low-res-players/07/22/2014 - 7:53am
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.joystiq.com/2014/07/22/wii-u-update-adds-system-to-system-transfers/ The latest Wii U update allows you to do the system transfer between two Wii Us. Still not true accounts, but getting there.07/22/2014 - 7:39am
Papa MidnightSpeculation from PC Gamer. Don't hold your breath. http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/21/microsoft-job-listing-says-nice-things-about-pc-gaming-isnt-clear-if-it-means-them/07/21/2014 - 5:58pm
MaskedPixelanteI dunno, it's probably Vevo powertripping.07/21/2014 - 5:52pm
Andrew EisenMP - Makes you wonder what the intention behind the removal was. Stop the RickRolls? Yeah, like removing that one video is going to make a difference.07/21/2014 - 3:27pm
 

Be Heard - Contact Your Politician