Pair of Game Devs Make Canada's Top 100 Employer List

October 9, 2009 -

Mediacorp Canada’s 10th annual list of the Top 100 Employers in the Great White North includes two game development companies.

It should be no surprise, of course, that BioWare made the list. The Alberta-based developer made the list because of such employee-friendly perks as referral bonuses (up to $1200), free breakfasts, free on site gym (with saltwater pool), top maternity leave benefits, seven days off during the Christmas season and seven-week long paid sabbaticals for veteran employees to help them avoid burnout.

Ontario-based Digital Extremes gained a spot in the Top 100 due to tuition subsidies (up to $2500 per year), liberally granting a new employee vacation time based on past work experience and maternity benefits. The Unreal Tournament co-creator also added over 30 new positions in the past year.

Grades will be assigned to each Top 100 entrant later this month.

Thanks Goose!

Posted in

Comments

Re: Pair of Game Devs Make Canada's Top 100 Employer List

Maybe Bioware offers free breakfasts to its staff because Ray and Greg are medical doctors? And as sauch they do understand the value of a good and hearty breakfast before going to work e.g. you can't work if you're hungry. And as I understand it, Bioware's maternity leave breakfast is one of the best in any country? If I we're an aspiring game developer I know where I would want to work.

Re: Pair of Game Devs Make Canada's Top 100 Employer List

You missed Vancouver's Next Level Games...they made the list too: http://www.eluta.ca/top-employer-next-level-games

Re: Pair of Game Devs Make Canada's Top 100 Employer List

BooYa! I am Canadian.

Re: Pair of Game Devs Make Canada's Top 100 Employer List

Go BioWare! Man, free breakfast? No wonder they make such good games, they're employees are satisfied and ready for work every day.

Although I'm curious about the saltwater pool. I wouldn't want that. I'd go to the ocean for saltwater. I want my pools freshwater. Must be a Canadian thing....

Re: Pair of Game Devs Make Canada's Top 100 Employer List

After having swum in a saltwater pool, I would never go back to chlorine. They are safer for kids. Easier on the skin and eyes. And better maintainence as has already been pointed out.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: Pair of Game Devs Make Canada's Top 100 Employer List

I'm just as confused as you are, and I'm Canadian.

Next thing you know, Mario will be banned for suggestive allusions to drugs.

Re: Pair of Game Devs Make Canada's Top 100 Employer List

I was curious enough to Google the answers. Turns out the main difference between saltwater pools and normal chlorine pools is a lower maintenance capacity, ie, less work needs to be done on the saltwater pool than on a normal one to maintain it.

BioWare must've had the "big picture" in mind. =)

Poll

Which group is more ethically challenged?:

InfophileI know the ZE series was in the red in Japan, but international series boosted it to profitability. That may not mean it's more profitable in the west, but it does mean ZE3 wouldn't exist without the western market.07/04/2015 - 7:54am
Consterwhy aren't "Video game players" an option on the poll? :P07/04/2015 - 5:19am
Andrew EisenThat was quick! Pretty accurate cosplay of the new Ghostbuster uniform and proton pack: https://twitter.com/mirabellemusing/status/61673135125394227207/03/2015 - 6:23pm
Matthew Wilson@mast I dont know, but I do know it got a cult fallowing here.07/03/2015 - 6:22pm
MastermuneWasn't the Zero Escape series more popular here than in Japan?07/03/2015 - 6:19pm
Matthew Wilson@mast given the game was revealed in the US, I wouldnt be shocked if it was released at the same time.07/03/2015 - 6:15pm
MastermuneI don't trust the big AAA worldwide simultaneous releases though.07/03/2015 - 5:57pm
Mastermune@Infophile I have come to the conclusion that smaller games like zero escape, JRPG's and the like are actually worth preordering sinc they are limited quantities and since they usually release in japan first we know if there are any issues.07/03/2015 - 5:56pm
Infophile@Matthew! Awesome news. I'd preorder on that shout alone if I didn't have a policy against preordering anymore.07/03/2015 - 5:16pm
Matthew Wilsonzero escape 3 was announced today.07/03/2015 - 4:21pm
Matthew Wilson@pnx I am guessing a ddoss since that is what happened to neogaf, but sony needs to do a investment in psn as a whole. steam is still the most reliable and fastest digital platform I use.07/03/2015 - 3:06pm
PHX Corphttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/psn-is-down-sony-investigating/ not again: PSN is down, Sony investigating07/03/2015 - 3:04pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/digital-extremes-trespasser-keystone-pc/ if true, this is funny and embarrassing for Digital Extremes. companies need too have better security.07/03/2015 - 2:57pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-destiny-the-hardcore-gamers-slot-machine/2300-6425852/ this is very good, and well researched.07/03/2015 - 12:41pm
InfophileOther features to become standard: The ability to remap controls however the hell I want. Quicksave at any time (especially for handheld and mobile games). Plus everything Andrew said07/03/2015 - 10:43am
InfophileRegion-freeing becomes tricky for games with a strong online component though, especially when the servers are run by different branches in different regions.07/03/2015 - 10:41am
InfophileI'm in favor of getting rid of region-locking for any purchased games. I can understand an exception for free, ad-supported games, as many ads are only relevant in certain regions, and it's a ridiculous hassle to get ads for all regions.07/03/2015 - 10:40am
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/payday-2-has-been-broken-on-xbox-one-for-three-weeks-1715384186 Payday 2 Has Been Broken On Xbox One For Three Weeks07/03/2015 - 8:44am
Matthew Wilsonhttps://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3bxduw/why_was_riama_along_with_a_number_of_other_large/ here is a more complete acount of whats going on.07/03/2015 - 1:32am
Matthew Wilsonredit is on fire right now. most subreddits have been set to private.07/03/2015 - 1:24am