Pair of Game Devs Make Canada's Top 100 Employer List

October 9, 2009 -

Mediacorp Canada’s 10th annual list of the Top 100 Employers in the Great White North includes two game development companies.

It should be no surprise, of course, that BioWare made the list. The Alberta-based developer made the list because of such employee-friendly perks as referral bonuses (up to $1200), free breakfasts, free on site gym (with saltwater pool), top maternity leave benefits, seven days off during the Christmas season and seven-week long paid sabbaticals for veteran employees to help them avoid burnout.

Ontario-based Digital Extremes gained a spot in the Top 100 due to tuition subsidies (up to $2500 per year), liberally granting a new employee vacation time based on past work experience and maternity benefits. The Unreal Tournament co-creator also added over 30 new positions in the past year.

Grades will be assigned to each Top 100 entrant later this month.

Thanks Goose!

Posted in

Comments

Re: Pair of Game Devs Make Canada's Top 100 Employer List

Maybe Bioware offers free breakfasts to its staff because Ray and Greg are medical doctors? And as sauch they do understand the value of a good and hearty breakfast before going to work e.g. you can't work if you're hungry. And as I understand it, Bioware's maternity leave breakfast is one of the best in any country? If I we're an aspiring game developer I know where I would want to work.

Re: Pair of Game Devs Make Canada's Top 100 Employer List

You missed Vancouver's Next Level Games...they made the list too: http://www.eluta.ca/top-employer-next-level-games

Re: Pair of Game Devs Make Canada's Top 100 Employer List

BooYa! I am Canadian.

Re: Pair of Game Devs Make Canada's Top 100 Employer List

Go BioWare! Man, free breakfast? No wonder they make such good games, they're employees are satisfied and ready for work every day.

Although I'm curious about the saltwater pool. I wouldn't want that. I'd go to the ocean for saltwater. I want my pools freshwater. Must be a Canadian thing....

Re: Pair of Game Devs Make Canada's Top 100 Employer List

After having swum in a saltwater pool, I would never go back to chlorine. They are safer for kids. Easier on the skin and eyes. And better maintainence as has already been pointed out.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: Pair of Game Devs Make Canada's Top 100 Employer List

I'm just as confused as you are, and I'm Canadian.

Next thing you know, Mario will be banned for suggestive allusions to drugs.

Re: Pair of Game Devs Make Canada's Top 100 Employer List

I was curious enough to Google the answers. Turns out the main difference between saltwater pools and normal chlorine pools is a lower maintenance capacity, ie, less work needs to be done on the saltwater pool than on a normal one to maintain it.

BioWare must've had the "big picture" in mind. =)

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm