GameFly & USPS Continue Fight

October 13, 2009 -

Videogame rental company GameFly is still locked in combat with the U.S. Postal Service, this time over information related to the amount of Netflix and Blockbuster specific mail slots in USPS outlets.

GameFly previously filed a complaint against the USPS earlier this year alleging that the USPS grants preferential treatment to the larger rental companies. Last month, GameFly filed a motion in order to compel the USPS to provide figures showing the percentage of USPS retail outlets that have Netflix, Blockbuster or other specific company DVD mail slots.

GameFly said it had asked for such information this past July, but that the USPS insisted it had no data and that that any Netflix-only dedicated mail slots “would be against current Headquarters policy.” GameFly, however, submitted two pictures of Post Offices in Susanville and Alturas (pictured left), California with Netflix Only mail slots, which the USPS has refused to authenticate.

Further charges from GameFly claim that Netflix and Blockbuster DVDs are hand sorted in order to reduce breakage, while GameFly discs are not. The USPS responded to this by saying that “all DVD mailers are not equal” and GameFly could change its packaging in order to gain the handling it seeks.

HackingNetflix via VideoBusiness

Posted in

Comments

Re: GameFly & USPS Continue Fight

Guys come on like our great President Obama said, the Postal Service is screwed up

So I in turn ask if we can't deliver the mail properly and UPS and Fedex do a better job how can we expect the Fed to take over the Healthcare Industry?

Re: GameFly & USPS Continue Fight

My post offie has a slot that says "DVD's Only"  Havnt asked if that means from any company as well as games though.

Re: GameFly & USPS Continue Fight

It just takes forever for the post office to deliver a game. Netflix gets there in 2 days.

Re: GameFly & USPS Continue Fight

So what specifically is the big difference between a Netflix DVD mailer and a Gamefly DVD mailer?  I've had both a Netflix and a Gamefly subscription, and the only difference was that Gamefly was using carboard mailers, while Netflix was using some form of flimsly paper mailer.

Re: GameFly & USPS Continue Fight

Business with antiquated business model   VS.     inefficient, lazy buerocracy

Not a very exciting fight.

Re: GameFly & USPS Continue Fight

The weird thing is that Gamefly uses cardboard to pack their games in the mailers, whereas Netflix & Blockbuster do not.

Re: GameFly & USPS Continue Fight

What exactly is a "USPS retail outlet?" Is that the same thing as a "post office?"

Re: GameFly & USPS Continue Fight

I think so, the only other thing I can think of is a place that sells boxes for shipping, but if they deliver USPS mail they're a post office.

----------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------- Debates are like merry go rounds. Two people take their positions then they go through the same points over and over and over again. Then when it's over they have the same positions they started in.

Re: GameFly & USPS Continue Fight

Ok, just tell customers to use the "NetFlix Only" slots. If enough people do it...

F U GameFly.

That's all I have to say.

Re: GameFly & USPS Continue Fight

Well, you've said more about yourself than you have about Gamefly...

Re: GameFly & USPS Continue Fight

I don't see why the USPS can't just have a 'Rental DVD/Game Disc' slot where they're all handsorted.

Re: GameFly & USPS Continue Fight

Well I hope something comes from all of this.

Andrew EisenHaven't read it yet. I'm sharing this because I love the header image. http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/10/gamergate-should-stop-lying-to-itself.html10/21/2014 - 3:39pm
james_fudgeYou are one of us, you're a GPer, not a GGer :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
james_fudgeNeo_DrKefka: half of them don't know who that is, so no worries :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
Andrew EisenUpdate to the Paranautical Activity story. Dev leaves the studio. http://codeavarice.com/post/100592709238/mike-is-leaving-code-avarice10/21/2014 - 1:52pm
quiknkoldI'm sure you are, Andrew10/21/2014 - 1:44pm
Andrew EisenNintendo announced the Link amiibo is compatible with Hyrule Warriors. No idea how Nintendo expects anyone to give a toss if it don't tell us what it does. Then again, maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly.10/21/2014 - 1:25pm
Neo_DrKefkaSo Gamergate compared me to leftist Saul Alnsky....ME off all the people10/21/2014 - 1:16pm
IanCWell.... quite.10/21/2014 - 1:10pm
Andrew EisenWell of course. Girls don't buy figurines and guys don't buy figurines of girls. And no, the girls that buy figurines and the guys that buy figurines of girls don't count. The money belongs on the table, thank you very much!10/21/2014 - 12:43pm
IanCI have 3 of the Disney Infinity figures even though i don't have the game (Rapunzel from Tangled, and Anna & Elsa from Frozen, purely because its the only way to get figures from those two films)10/21/2014 - 12:23pm
Andrew EisenGlad you said "Pokemon." That's the first time I've seen anyone use that abbreviation.10/21/2014 - 12:14pm
MaskedPixelanteGot my demo key for ORAS, hope I get some awesome Pokemon to bring over.10/21/2014 - 12:08pm
E. Zachary KnightNot owning a WiiU helps too.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
E. Zachary KnightI have avoided Skylanders and Disney Infinity so far, so I don't see how Amiibos will get me in their grasp.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
Andrew EisenYes, GamerGate has a lot of fair-weather friends.10/21/2014 - 11:25am
Neo_DrKefkaI'm disheartened we have a group of people in Gamergate such as The Ralph Retort that is using Gamergate to prop themselves up but they are acting just like those they are fighting against. Only gaming site coming out of gamergate that worthy is TechRaptr10/21/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenNot I. I'm not interested in desktop tchotchkes. Don't know what they do in Captain Toad (a game I'll actually be picking up) but I'm not impressed by what they do in Smash Bros.10/21/2014 - 11:10am
quiknkoldso in a change of subject to something much lighter, who here is getting the Amiibos? I have 4 preordered.10/21/2014 - 7:02am
TechnogeekFor a change of pace, here's a story about death threats aimed at games industry employees via Twitter that has nothing whatsoever to do with Gamergate: http://kotaku.com/indie-dev-threatens-gabe-newell-has-game-removed-from-164867886910/21/2014 - 4:38am
MechaCrashThey aren't being held accountable because *this is what GamerGate is really about.* Hatred and harassment under a thin veneer of concern for ethics; it's a rotten movement right down to the core. Related: http://tinyurl.com/o5mamgn10/21/2014 - 1:53am