Activision Pairs with Dr. Olson on Game Education Initiative

November 3, 2009 -

Activision Publishing Inc. has linked up with Dr. Cheryl Olson in a bid to enable parents and teachers to “optimize” children’s videogame experience.

Dr. Olson, no stranger to this site, is co-director of the Center for Mental Health and Media at Massachusetts General Hospital and co-author of Grand Theft Childhood: The Surprising Truth About Violent Video Games.

The partnership will result in a series of seven videos posted on Activision’s Ratings Are Not a Game website. The first two are already up:  Using Videogames to Teach Problem Solving and Planning and How Can I Tell if a Game is Appropriate for My Child and How Do I Set Play Limits.

Dr. Olson stated, “These videos give practical research-based advice on how to help your kids--and your family--get more out of video games, and how to watch for and limit electronic game play.”

In related news, Dr. Olson’s husband and co-author of Grand Theft Childhood, Dr. Lawrence Kutner, has been appointed Executive Director of the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation.

Comments

Re: Activision Pairs with Dr. Olson on Game Education ...

Parents never check ratings, and when they bitch to stores about the content, you can tell they didn't. That's called "bad parenting". You know when they're lying because if they say they did read the rating, they wouldn't have bought the game to begin with.

When Jack Thompson runs his mouth, does anyone really care what he has to say anymore?

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

WonderkarpFCC appears to be kicking ass today01/29/2015 - 4:11pm
Matthew WilsonThat is why I said "every market". for example totalbescuit has TWC, and the best he can get atm is 10/10.01/29/2015 - 1:58pm
Andrew EisenTWC offers speeds that high, at least in my area. (Standard is 15Mpbs)01/29/2015 - 1:54pm
Matthew Wilson@prh I still have my doubts. if anything the big winner is Comcast. they are the only isp in the us that can provide that speed in every market they serve. att, verizon, and twc cant or at least dont.01/29/2015 - 1:50pm
Andrew EisenTrailer for Ted 2 and it looks like it won't simply be a rehash of the first. That's encouraging! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3AVcCggRnU01/29/2015 - 1:49pm
prh99It's nice to see an FCC chair who isn't just there to facilitate monopoly building for cable and telecom. Basically not a dingo.01/29/2015 - 1:46pm
Wonderkarpmine was grandia 201/29/2015 - 1:39pm
Matthew Wilsonoh btw only about 5.6 percent of the us has broadband now.01/29/2015 - 1:21pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.theverge.com/2015/1/29/7932653/fcc-changed-definition-broadband-25mbps did not think the fcc would go through with it.01/29/2015 - 1:16pm
Andrew EisenI know, right? Don't you dare think the fact that I buy all your games makes this sort of behavior okay, TT Games!01/29/2015 - 12:57pm
IanCHow dare thy release games that do well both commercially and critically. How dare they. (refer to the Lego games)01/29/2015 - 12:55pm
Infophile@Wonderkarp: Tales of Innocence. Was in the final dungeon, when I accidentally left my 3DS on an airplane and couldn't get it back. Lost both the game and the system. Got a new system, but not the game (not fun enough to be worth replaying)01/29/2015 - 12:10pm
Andrew EisenOh, thank goodness. There will be at least two console LEGO games this year. For a moment I was worried there! (LEGO Jurassic World, LEGO Marvel's Avengers plus LEGO Ninjago for handheld.)01/29/2015 - 12:08pm