UK Dev Survey: Piracy a Problem, But Not a Threat

November 11, 2009 -

Only 10% of UK videogame developers view piracy as a threat to their business survival reports a new survey from trade industry group TIGA.

While the low percentage indicates that piracy probably won’t drive any developers out of business, game makers are still concerned about having their work stolen, with 90% of those surveyed seeing piracy as a “constant or increasing problem” for their business going forward.

When queried on whether they would do business differently as a result of piracy, 50% responded “yes,” 30% responded “no” and 20% answered “don’t know.” Of the 50% who responded “yes” to the previous question, 75% indicated that digital distribution, subscription based or ad-supported free games would be their remedy against piracy.

The developers were also asked if Digital Rights Management (DRM) was “an irrelevance, a solution or a problem.” 50% responded that DRM is “an irrelevance,” 30% called it “the solution” and 20% labeled it “the problem.”

Developers were split 50/50 on the issue of whether or not people caught pirating should have their Internet connection throttled and/or cut off.

Posted in

Comments

Re: UK Dev Survey: Piracy a Problem, But Not a Threat

And, yet again, DRM is proved to be a waste of money for both developers and consumers.

Whatever distributors are sniffing these days, they want to cut down, it seems to cause physchotic greed and lack of basic business acumen.

Re: UK Dev Survey: Piracy a Problem, But Not a Threat

Ha, so ONLY the publishers think DMR is necessary, the developers are on our side on that.

And many of us knew already that piracy wasn't THAT huge of a problem, since it was mostly publishers who were saying it was costing the industry millions.

As for digital distribution, as much as I would like to edge publishers out of the picture, it doesn't sit right with me as it would likely get highly abused, and would leave people with older tech in the dust. Not all of us can afford the latest and greatest. Hell, my PC is a dinosaur.

Re: UK Dev Survey: Piracy a Problem, But Not a Threat

Fighting piracy is as simple as selling a better cheaper product and focusing on illicit sales of software no matter where they are, and perhaps any large distribution sites of infringing media(sites, or modders that give away alot of crap with hardware mods) going the extra mile to prevent consumers from protecting their purchases by using back ups and making hardware mods illegal you are boiling the baby with the bath water. Focus on the real illegal problems not the ones you wish were illegal...

In 10-20 or 50 years we wont have psychical media much anymore everything will be online that when they can rent us stuff for all eternity untill then you can't lock media to one device and expect the consumer to be gleefully happy about it.

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! Stop supporting big media and furthering the criminalization of consumers!! http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/

---