Georgia Tax Incentives May Lure EA to Atlanta

December 18, 2009 -

Atlanta is one of a handful of locations Electronic Arts is considering for a new development studio as it attempts to find more developer-friendly locales in a bid to cut infrastructure costs.

The Atlanta Business Chronicle notes that Louisiana and Florida are also in the running for the new location, while Texas has already been ruled out. The new studio would employ up to 300 people and perform tasks that are currently done in the more expensive state of California.

Georgia introduced legislation last year that would enable videogame developers to qualify for tax credits of up to 30%, a top reason EA is considering the state according to spokesman Jeff Brown, “The tax credit is definitely one of the things that attracted us to Georgia.”

He added, “If we can find an abundance of talent and a pipeline through a local university that gives us access to talent in both art and engineering, that’s where we start. rest of it is really a cost equation.”

The article claims that Atlanta is home to 70 computer game makers, most of whom are in the Atlanta area.

Hi-Rez Studios Chief Operating Officer Todd Harris attested to Georgia’s developer friendly attitude, saying, “The economic incentive act that was passed is very, very compelling and one of the nation’s best.” Hi-Rez is located in Alpharetta, Georgia and currently working on a game called Global Agenda.

Comments

Re: Georgia Tax Incentives May Lure EA to Atlanta

Will they be hiring? Does anyone have an HR contact?

Re: Georgia Tax Incentives May Lure EA to Atlanta

Are they talking about all taxes or just certain taxes?

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Re: Georgia Tax Incentives May Lure EA to Atlanta

Question is, which acquired production house will EA close down and lay off most of the staff from if they do move to Atlanta?

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.destructoid.com/director-del-toro-says-silent-hi… Can not say I am surprised sadly. I feel bad for del Toro because every time he tries to do a video game project it falls apart.04/26/2015 - 1:42pm
Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm