Georgia Tax Incentives May Lure EA to Atlanta

December 18, 2009 -

Atlanta is one of a handful of locations Electronic Arts is considering for a new development studio as it attempts to find more developer-friendly locales in a bid to cut infrastructure costs.

The Atlanta Business Chronicle notes that Louisiana and Florida are also in the running for the new location, while Texas has already been ruled out. The new studio would employ up to 300 people and perform tasks that are currently done in the more expensive state of California.

Georgia introduced legislation last year that would enable videogame developers to qualify for tax credits of up to 30%, a top reason EA is considering the state according to spokesman Jeff Brown, “The tax credit is definitely one of the things that attracted us to Georgia.”

He added, “If we can find an abundance of talent and a pipeline through a local university that gives us access to talent in both art and engineering, that’s where we start. rest of it is really a cost equation.”

The article claims that Atlanta is home to 70 computer game makers, most of whom are in the Atlanta area.

Hi-Rez Studios Chief Operating Officer Todd Harris attested to Georgia’s developer friendly attitude, saying, “The economic incentive act that was passed is very, very compelling and one of the nation’s best.” Hi-Rez is located in Alpharetta, Georgia and currently working on a game called Global Agenda.

Comments

Re: Georgia Tax Incentives May Lure EA to Atlanta

Will they be hiring? Does anyone have an HR contact?

Re: Georgia Tax Incentives May Lure EA to Atlanta

Are they talking about all taxes or just certain taxes?

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Re: Georgia Tax Incentives May Lure EA to Atlanta

Question is, which acquired production house will EA close down and lay off most of the staff from if they do move to Atlanta?

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

MattsworknameI did the direct x 9 fix, issue remains08/04/2015 - 10:13pm
MattsworknameI've had issues with it since the start really, as soon as I tried to run it on Win 8.1, vegas woudl crash as soon as i launched it, even when using the base game08/04/2015 - 10:12pm
MattsworknameManta: I run into issues the moment I try to use any mods. and some times even no mods08/04/2015 - 10:09pm
MattsworknameChris ray gun on the gawker media scandel from a few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGv0KTV9IM08/04/2015 - 10:08pm
black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm
Big PermOh wow, yeah cleared my entire history and now suggestions are subs instead08/04/2015 - 9:15pm
Big PermI think you can mecha. Unless it's just removing it from your UI and still tracking it behind the scenes08/04/2015 - 9:11pm
MechaTama31It would be nice if Youtube just let you delete a video from your history, like Netflix does.08/04/2015 - 9:09pm
black mantaF3 and NV have long been since fixed. They run great on Windows 8 and 8.1. And there's also the Unofficial Patch for F3 and the Mission Mojave patch for NV in case they don't.08/04/2015 - 9:05pm
MattsworknameYeah Big, but for those who had the game for long times, it is to late for that08/04/2015 - 8:43pm
Big PermNow that steam refunds are a thing, I'd hope they care more about not releasing a buggy mess.08/04/2015 - 8:34pm
MattsworknameI really think someone should get on bethesda abotu this and find out if there gonna fix it for the anthology, and if those fixs will be provide to those who already own the software on steam08/04/2015 - 8:24pm
Mattsworknamethey fix it, I fear this is gonna be a problem cause it means 2 games will be nearly unusa le for a large number of those buying the game08/04/2015 - 8:23pm
MattsworknameSo, I have a concern. Im super pumped for fallout 4, but I noticed bethesda is also selling an anthology. Which is a great idea, save that both Fallout 3 and New vegas are near unusable on anything paste windows 7, and even on 7 it's a buggy mess. Unless08/04/2015 - 8:22pm
benohawkI've had no issues so far08/04/2015 - 6:45pm
MattsworknameSame here so far, minus some issues with a few old games, it's been solid for me. I do think they need to adjust some of the interface in the start menu, but I can work with it08/04/2015 - 5:56pm
Matthew WilsonI like it, havent had any major issues.08/04/2015 - 5:45pm
MattsworknameSo, now t hta we have had time to mess with it, whats everyones view on windows 10?08/04/2015 - 5:43pm