Census: U.S. Game Dev Growth Flat, Canada’s Soars

December 21, 2009 -

A Game Developer Census shows that the number of U.S. game developers remained flat when comparing 2009 to 2008, while Canadian figures rose by 30.0 percent.

The number of employed U.S. game developers gained only slightly, rising from estimated tally’s of 44,400 in 2008 to 44,806 in 2009. Their Canadian counterparts showed tremendous growth in their numbers, totaling 12,480 in 2009, up from 9,500 in 2008. The growing of game development centers in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto contributed to the growth.

California remains the U.S.  home to the most videogame creators with 20,815, or 46.0 percent of all those in the U.S. Washington ranked second with more than 4,500 employees while Texas took third with over 2,600 game developers. New York, Massachusetts, Illinois, Florida and Maryland joined the three previously listed states as the only locales with more than 1,000 developers.

The full 248-page census is available to purchase for $2,495.00.

Comments

Re: Census: U.S. Game Dev Growth Flat, Canada’s Soars

Of course! Canada has the best games! ;)

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Re: Census: U.S. Game Dev Growth Flat, Canada’s Soars

Thank goodness that California is still #1 in videogame developers in the U.S. It's nice to know that it's also the #1 state in advance tech by 10 years in average compared to other states, but I doubt that it will be ahead of technology when things shift later when the eonomy is changed and jobs will be diverted to other states so that they can develop. Hopefully, our state will be stable and maybe one day, create a videogame in the future.

Re: Census: U.S. Game Dev Growth Flat, Canada’s Soars

Hoorah Canada!

Re: Census: U.S. Game Dev Growth Flat, Canada’s Soars

I am not that surprised. We game studios like Ubisoft Montreal, Bioware, and EA Canada. Canada has some pretty well known developers for a country that that has a population just above the state of New York.

Andrew EisenOkay, well I've passed the request along.01/26/2015 - 9:03pm
ZippyDSMleeI loath itunes..........01/26/2015 - 9:02pm
Goth_SkunkUNLESS you haven't downloaded the most 3 recent episodes. Then it cancels your subscription automatically.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Goth_Skunk@AE: No. iTunes instead just downloads it automatically, provided you've set it up to do so in your preferences.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Andrew EisenAnyone know if iTunes sends email notifications when there's a new episode of a podcast you're subscribed to?01/26/2015 - 8:30pm
ZippyDSMleeAck!! Sorry lack of spell checker means I more incoherent than ever :P, Sign up for email notification thing for the pod cast. Probly more trouble than its worth, I guess I will have to check the site more often ><01/26/2015 - 8:22pm
Andrew EisenWhat is a "sign u email thing"? We provide a direct download link to the show every week. The video version is on my YouTube channel. You can use our RSS feed to add it to a news reader. You can also subscribe to the show on iTunes.01/26/2015 - 6:48pm
ZippyDSMleeMmm you guys ever thought about doing a sign u email thing for the pod cast? If I can click a direct link to downlaod it to toss in all daily podcast listening I might listen to it more than randomly forgtting its on here 0-o01/26/2015 - 6:37pm
prh99Too much time listening to Faux News and Bill Mahr.01/26/2015 - 5:12pm
james_fudgeit's bad pr for the bus company01/26/2015 - 5:10pm
Andrew EisenI'm sure the ones who purchased the ads are a bit peeved but I find my sympathies lacking. I have to wonder why the bus line would buy such ads in the first place. Hard to imagine it doesn't have policies against that stuff.01/26/2015 - 5:07pm
Wonderkarpthats cute. I Like Ms Marvel(hate her powerset). Whomever is doing this? Good Job01/26/2015 - 4:49pm
E. Zachary KnightHahahahahahaha! http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane01/26/2015 - 4:24pm
WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm