ELSPA: 2009 a Good Year for Game Industry Sales

January 6, 2010 -

Based on Gfk Chart-Track sales data, the Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishing Association (ELSPA) has proclaimed 2009 as the second best year ever for UK videogame sales.

Total 2009 sales, lumping in software, accessories and hardware together, totaled 114.2 million units or £3.311 billion (approximately $5.3 billion U.S.). Broken out, software sales were £1.621 billion (approximately $2.6 million U.S.), while console hardware totaled £1.06 billion (approximately $1.7 billion U.S.). The latter figure decreased in year-over-year results due to lower average prices.

Wii games sold the most units in the UK last year, with a figure of 18.0 million, with PlayStation 3 software sales totaling 11.9 million units. The Xbox 360 was number one for 2009 in terms of revenue, gaining four percent over 2008 to total £459 million (approximately $734.0 million U.S.). No unit figure for 360 software titles sold was provided.

6.7 million hardware units were bought in the UK last year, with the Wii selling the most.

The accessory market contributed 2009 sales of £630 million (approximately $1.0 billion U.S.).

ELSPA Director General Mike Rawlinson commented, “The UK videogames market is maturing – we are not seeing such explosive growth as in 2008, a sure sign that the market is coming of age. Consumers are shopping smarter and gaming is becoming more widespread across all demographics.”

Comments

Re: ELSPA: 2009 a Good Year for Game Industry Sales

Videogame Industry is booming, but people say that Piracy is ruining videogames, and an anti-gamer who are worse than Jack Thompson are coming out and saying Videogames are created by Satin but then refutes her comments only to say that Lord Voldamort invented videogames.

Oh and another thing, Videogames were first created by groups of American Scientests back in the 1950's and 60's until Ralph Bear thought of a way to create Videogames for the home electronic market. He is well over 60 or 70 years old so if you guys have anyone to blame, blame a man who was credited by George Bush for having done something amazing to human society when it comes to home entertainment.

Sorry for being off topic there. Oh and well done to the Videogame Industry, for Nintendo, Microsoft, SONY, SEGA, Atari, EA, Ubisoft, Midway (cries) and many other groups of people who worked hard to make the Videogame Industry to what it is today.

Maybe I will find a job one day in that filed.

TBoneTony

Re: ELSPA: 2009 a Good Year for Game Industry Sales

But pirating and emulation and R4s and ect.  This makes no sense!

---

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm