UAE Bans Darksiders

January 7, 2010 -

The United Arab Emirates has banned THQ’s game Darksiders reports gaming site GamesLatest.

The site notes that such bannings are not usually accompanied by a detailed explanation; instead an explanation typically offered is that a forbidden commodity “contradicts with UAE’s customs and traditions.”

The game, developed by Vigil games for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, involves demons and has players take the role of War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

In the game’s setting, War is accused of breaking a scared law and “inciting a war between Heaven and Hell.” Following a battle between demons and angels that the demons win, War is “brought before the sacred Charred Council” and indicted for his crimes and has his other worldly powers removed. While being hunted by Angels, War returns to Earth in order to search for the truth, to find those responsible for deceiving him and to battle the forces of Hell.

God of War and Grand Theft Auto IV were also banned in the UAE in recent years.

Comments

Re: UAE Bans Darksiders

No big deal. I doubt the UAE is really a big market for the game companies anyway.

When Jack Thompson runs his mouth, does anyone really care what he has to say anymore?

Re: UAE Bans Darksiders

On the contrary, gaming in the Middle East is growing, there was a great article in MCV a few months ago highlighting this, many companies are moving in to capitalise, and also pointed out are problems with the infrastructure of game distribution and the fact that something like 98% of titles in the region are currently pirated.

So I agree it's not a deal, per se, at the moment but it's a problem that may need addressing in the future.

Re: UAE Bans Darksiders

"...breaking a scared law"

Wow, must be a really scary law.

Re: UAE Bans Darksiders

Is it wrong for me to be slightly happy that a game was banned and it WASN'T in Australia?

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm