MPs Seek to Speed Up PEGI Introduction

January 8, 2010 -

As time winds down to the general elections, the UK government is attempting to push-through the Digital Economy Bill.

MCVUK reports that, while some aspects of the bill are still hotly contested, politicians are hoping to fast track at least some elements of the bill, including making the Pan-European Game Information PEGI ratings system enforceable by law.

Don Foster, Bath MP, stated:

Swiftness is the essence of why we are here today. It is vital that we get back on to the statute book, as quickly as possible, legislation that provides protection against the sale of inappropriate material to children and counters the ability of people to sell pirate DVDs and so on.

Shadow Culture Minister Ed Vaizey added:

The Digital Economy Bill will amend the 1984 Act and bring video games into a system of statutory classification using the European rating system known as PEGI—pan European game information. Broadly speaking, hon. Members of all parties support that. Everybody recognises that video games should be classified under a statutory system.

The Digital Economy bill recommends that PEGI become the sole method of classifying games, replacing the current structure that uses PEGI and British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) ratings. Another controversial aspect contains a three-strikes law aimed at Internet pirates.

Comments

Re: MPs Seek to Speed Up PEGI Introduction

<snip/>

-- teh moominz --

Re: MPs Seek to Speed Up PEGI Introduction

"Another controversial aspect contains a three-strikes law aimed at Internet pirates."

The main story in all of this gets nothing but a casual single line right at the end.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: MPs Seek to Speed Up PEGI Introduction

Um... only if you're a pirate.

-- teh moominz --

Re: MPs Seek to Speed Up PEGI Introduction

People insist that "three strikes" laws will only affect pirates but they couldn't be more wrong. You know how my friend gets his Internet access? He breaks his neighbor's WEP encryption, uses his router as a wireless repeater, and provides wifi for everyone in his house, him, his gf, his roommate and roommate's gf. He pirates, his roommate pirates, if they ever got busted it would be the poor sap whose wifi got hacked. I have wifi but don't get good reception in my room so even I'll use a neighbors. If I were to pirate something they would get busted. How would you feel if you, or your parents, go officially BANNED from the Internet for a year? Or for life? That would really suck, wouldn't it? That is exactly what you are going to see. How many times has Big Content screwed up and mis-identified people in the past? Remember the 70 year old grandmother they accused of sharing rap? I don't think she even had a computer. Basically Big Content decided that it was too hard, too expensive, and too bad for PR to go around protecting their own IP, they bribed the government to do it for them. If the RIAA/MPAA/whoever wants to protect their IP they need to do the investigations themselves and bring the lawsuits themselves. If they can't be bothered its not up to the government to do that work for them.

Re: MPs Seek to Speed Up PEGI Introduction

No not really. The tracking technology is hugely flawed and too many people are wrongly accused of downloading all sorts of stuff.

Poll