Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

January 13, 2010 -

A Florida man has been arrested because he didn't play fair in World of Warcraft.

According to an Associated Press report out of Clearwater, 23-year-old Christopher H. Bouffard was arrested on Monday after he collected $760 from at least two people in exchange for World of Warcraft characters that he never delivered. He was arrested on charges of scheming to defraud and two counts of grand theft.

The incidents occurred in 2008, when Bouffard allegedly solicited the money in exchange for the characters, but cut off all contact with the individuals once he received the money.

He was being held on $20,000 bail. No word on what Blizzard plans to do with his account, or whether he even had one to begin with.

Comments

Re: Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

One of my friends I know in the Navy does the same thing but he fulfills his obligations & makes tons of money w/it. Pretty sweet.

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Re: Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

So can be convicted of Grand Theft Auto in the game world then?

Re: Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

Grand Theft Avatar ;)

Re: Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

Wow, really? I once had a landlord claim he lost my $2500 rent check, so I gave him another and he cashed both, so I sued him and I got a judgement for $1500 which he will never pay. How do I get him arrested?

Re: Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

Not to be mean or anything, but why did you not put a stop payment on the original check? If I knew that a check that large was missing, I would have done so before handing over a new check. Sure it would cost you, but not nearly as much as the full written value on the check.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

Fraud is fraud... if he's found guilty throw the book at him. Then sentence him...

"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."

Re: Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

Charge him with fraud, for selling something he did not own. As per blizzard's TOS and EULA, you do not own anything in the account.

Re: Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

Wait, $20k for stealing $760 total? Or was it multiple individuals at $760 each? I'm not sure but the petty line is either $300 or 3k isnt it? Owell, i never liked the ideo of character selling anyways. Why play a game when someone has already done the work? It's like gold selling, but with gear and experience points as well.

In war, truth is the first casualty.

In war, truth is the first casualty.

Re: Fulfill Your Obligations, Even in Games

$20,000 bail, he wasn't charged with $20,000.

Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenIf that's true, maybe she's willing to lose her tax exempt status by merchandising. So? Also not a problem with her Kickstarter. And no, I don't have to be a rep of FemFreq to point out how nonsensical, irrelevant and untrue all this nonsense is.01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenShe doesn't say it's not her footage and she never said she'd record all her own footage. So this isn't a problem. I doubt she's said anything like "no women or non white people are critics of mine." Regardless, nothing to do with her Kickstarter.01/31/2015 - 6:41pm