Report Paints Rosy Picture of Seattle Game Industry

January 13, 2010 -

A report issued by the Washington Interactive Network portrays Seattle as one of the top three areas in the country for game development.

The firm’s Interactive Media Competiveness Study began by analyzing a dozen of the top U.S. locales for game development: Seattle, Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and San Jose.

Additionally, six indicators of competiveness were used: number of firms, computer and engineering talent, multimedia and animation talent, educational institutions, cost of living and the cost of doing business.

While noting that “there’s no stand alone leader” across all categories when it comes to crowning the best U.S. city for game development, the report labels Seattle, San Francisco and San Jose as the top three overall, then uses the cost of doing business in California as reason for promoting the Seattle area further to the forefront.

The report cites 2007 data showing the Seattle area with over 150 companies or divisions making games, employing over 15,000 people, with growth of 8.0% from 2003 to 2006.

Washington Interactive Network Business Development Manager Kristina Hudson added:

Today, there is no stand-alone national leader in any particular category of competitiveness - which means this 'title" can still be claimed. If our region is mindful of our incentives and taxes - keeping it fiscally friendly to individuals and businesses - we have a good shot at being THE global center of game development.

Comments

Re: Report Paints Rosy Picture of Seattle Game Industry

There is no leader, and there shouldn't be a leader. It would actually bring more talent because you could live closer to the places you want to live.

How does leading cities how an industry?

Re: Report Paints Rosy Picture of Seattle Game Industry

Sure, it sounds nice enough, I suppose. It's no Canada, though. :D

Poll

Will Code Avarice's Paranautical Activity make its way back onto Steam?:

Neo_DrKefkaThanks James. Means a lot.10/21/2014 - 7:24pm
prh99Nothing that hasn't been said.10/21/2014 - 6:52pm
Andrew EisenHaven't read it yet. I'm sharing this because I love the header image. http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/10/gamergate-should-stop-lying-to-itself.html10/21/2014 - 3:39pm
james_fudgeYou are one of us, you're a GPer, not a GGer :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
james_fudgeNeo_DrKefka: half of them don't know who that is, so no worries :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
Andrew EisenUpdate to the Paranautical Activity story. Dev leaves the studio. http://codeavarice.com/post/100592709238/mike-is-leaving-code-avarice10/21/2014 - 1:52pm
quiknkoldI'm sure you are, Andrew10/21/2014 - 1:44pm
Andrew EisenNintendo announced the Link amiibo is compatible with Hyrule Warriors. No idea how Nintendo expects anyone to give a toss if it don't tell us what it does. Then again, maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly.10/21/2014 - 1:25pm
Neo_DrKefkaSo Gamergate compared me to leftist Saul Alnsky....ME off all the people10/21/2014 - 1:16pm
IanCWell.... quite.10/21/2014 - 1:10pm
Andrew EisenWell of course. Girls don't buy figurines and guys don't buy figurines of girls. And no, the girls that buy figurines and the guys that buy figurines of girls don't count. The money belongs on the table, thank you very much!10/21/2014 - 12:43pm
IanCI have 3 of the Disney Infinity figures even though i don't have the game (Rapunzel from Tangled, and Anna & Elsa from Frozen, purely because its the only way to get figures from those two films)10/21/2014 - 12:23pm
Andrew EisenGlad you said "Pokemon." That's the first time I've seen anyone use that abbreviation.10/21/2014 - 12:14pm
MaskedPixelanteGot my demo key for ORAS, hope I get some awesome Pokemon to bring over.10/21/2014 - 12:08pm
E. Zachary KnightNot owning a WiiU helps too.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
E. Zachary KnightI have avoided Skylanders and Disney Infinity so far, so I don't see how Amiibos will get me in their grasp.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
Andrew EisenYes, GamerGate has a lot of fair-weather friends.10/21/2014 - 11:25am
Neo_DrKefkaI'm disheartened we have a group of people in Gamergate such as The Ralph Retort that is using Gamergate to prop themselves up but they are acting just like those they are fighting against. Only gaming site coming out of gamergate that worthy is TechRaptr10/21/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenNot I. I'm not interested in desktop tchotchkes. Don't know what they do in Captain Toad (a game I'll actually be picking up) but I'm not impressed by what they do in Smash Bros.10/21/2014 - 11:10am
quiknkoldso in a change of subject to something much lighter, who here is getting the Amiibos? I have 4 preordered.10/21/2014 - 7:02am