Nintendo UK Ads Win Dubious Distinction

January 20, 2010 -

Nintendo’s UK television spots featuring the comedy team Anthony “Ant” McPartlin and Declan “Dec” Donnelly have made a list of the most irritating ads of 2009.

Marketing Magazine assembled the list of irksome ads, assigning Nintendo to 9th place, in a tie with a campaign for Country Life put together by the agency Grey London. Karmarama produced the Nintendo spots, some of which can be viewed here on EnjoyNintendo.

Is it a positive for a brand to make a list like this or not?

Saatchi & Saatchi’s Director of Strategy Richard Huntington was asked by Marketing Magazine for his take on the subject and indicated that, while the ads are certainly memorable, whether “they can form part of a sustainable communication strategy remains to be seen.

Or, as Marketing Magazine interprets, “once a brand has done its best to irritate consumers it is difficult to see where the creative approach goes next.”

|Via MCVUK, Thanks Andrew|

Comments

Re: Nintendo UK Ads Win Dubious Distinction

I make it a point NOT to buy products because of annoying commercials. What can I say, I'm a spiteful consumer.

Re: Nintendo UK Ads Win Dubious Distinction

GoCompare.com was rated as the worst advert. Absolutely the right decision there.

Re: Nintendo UK Ads Win Dubious Distinction

I respectfully disagree, the faintest hint of "We buy any car dot com" has me passing through violent rage to suicidal depression in just a couple of seconds.

ZippyDSMleeShout box sttasahhppppp!!05/22/2015 - 10:47am