NYT Profiles Digital Media School

February 10, 2010 -

A relatively new Chicago school that teaches digital media features a leader that calls traditional academic institutions a “joke.”

The New York Times takes a look inside the Flashpoint Academy of Media Arts & Sciences in downtown Chicago. The school offers two-year programs focused on Film & Broadcast, Recording Arts, Game & Interactive Media or Animation & Visual Effects. Tuition runs around $25,000 a year. Founded in 2007, Flashpoint currently houses 450 students and 26 full time faculty members.

Howard Tullman is President and CEO of the school, and is not a fan of more conventional schooling, calling professor lectures a “joke” and labeling most university film schools a waste of time, as they produce nothing more than “coffee fetchers.”

Flashpoint’s Game Development program serves up four areas of focus: Design, Art (3D Modeling & Animation), Programming and Project Management. Graduates are awarded an Associate of Applied Science degree.

One student labeled Flashpoint “the Julliard of digital technology.”

Comments

Re: NYT Profiles Digital Media School

(excuse the size, all the ones I found were big)

Seriously, what the hell is going through this guy's head that he can say things like that?

And I'm not saying he has no right to, I just want to hear his justification behind it.

-----------------------------

"A Chrono Trigger is anything that unleashes its will or desire to change history!" -Gaspar
-----------------------------