NetEase Granted Burning Crusade License

February 16, 2010 -

Following a prolonged battle and a series of false-starts, China’s General Administration of Press and Publication (GAPP) has finally given the official go-ahead for NetEase to operate the world of Warcraft expansion The Burning Crusade.

In granting the license needed to operate the game, GAPP said that NetEase had “taken necessary corrective measures." The decision came down on Friday wrote Digital East Asia. GAPP had previously suspended NetEase’s permit over what it termed “gross violations” of regulations.

In related news, China Tech News offers word of a new Chinese initiative spearheaded by game operators that will educate parents on how to best oversee their children’s online game activities.  Game operators Wanmei.com, Tencent, Shanda, Netease, Changyou and Giant Interactive are particpiants in the program, which will provide a variety of support materials for parents and also provide the means for parents to suspend or cancel their children’s accounts.

Digital East Asia also shed light on a series of YouTube videos (pictured) that lampoon the World of Warcraft Chinese debacle and use the situation to provide commentary on the rigid state of Chinese censors. The Wall Street Journal said about the video, “…its subtext is a broad, biting allegory of the fight against government Internet controls, peppered with allusions to a list of real-world conflicts in China over the past year.”

Part 1, with English subtitles, can be found here.

Comments

Re: NetEase Granted Burning Crusade License

Most of the people in China who play World of Warcraft have already rereolled on Taiwanese servers.  Burning Crusade is over 3 years old, when China finally gets WoTLK... Cataclysm will already be released.

Re: NetEase Granted Burning Crusade License

The greatest crime of censorship: damning over a billion people to UBRS.  At last they can escape that hell hole and go on the bigger and better things.

Re: NetEase Granted Burning Crusade License

Hooray, something that affects no westerners in any way shape or form has happened!

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

PHX Corphttp://www.tssznews.com/2015/01/30/former-sega-of-america-employees-voice-mistreatment-greed-racism/ there is alot of problems with sega but this is new01/30/2015 - 9:33am
ZippyDSMleehttp://www.speedtest.net/my-result/410086446201/29/2015 - 9:12pm