FTC Complaints: Where do Games Rank?

February 24, 2010 -

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has released a list (PDF) of the top complaints that consumers filed with the agency for the 2009 calendar year.

The category of videogames came in at number 30 on the list, totaling 1,185 complaints during the year, or .00089 percent of all complaints filed during the year (1,330,426). Videogame-related complaints were related to “problems with videogame companies, defective products, billing or collection, contracts, customer service, delivery, guarantees or warrantees, repairs and service.”

Complaints in the category have, however, risen over the years, from 694 in 2007 to 1,073 in 2008.

This year’s top complaint was about identify theft, which made up a whopping 21.0 percent of all complaints with 278,078 consumer inquires on the subject.

The FTC has also released an animated video to show consumers how to file a complaint.

Comments

Re: FTC Complaints: Where do Games Rank?

Yish, somebody's bad at math... Try 0.089%

Re: FTC Complaints: Where do Games Rank?

delete me.  i gotta start reading more

---------
There are only 10 types of people in this world, people who know binary and people who don't.

---------

Re: FTC Complaints: Where do Games Rank?

>694 in 2007 to 1,073 in 2008.

Can we get that next to stuff like console ownership and software unit sales, or any other survey that attempts to count the number of gamers? An increase like that is pretty good if there were only 700 people playing games in '07 and a million in '08.

/b

Re: FTC Complaints: Where do Games Rank?

I wonder how many of those were mailed from Florida.

Re: FTC Complaints: Where do Games Rank?

I'd say about 1,185 complaints are from Florida.

Poll

Should ‘sexism’ factor into a video game’s rating?:

Andrew EisenI bet there's a lovely comedy of errors surrounding that list's journey to the IGDA's page!11/22/2014 - 6:49pm
Andrew EisenAnd the fact that it was curated by some random person on Twitter should have been another.11/22/2014 - 6:48pm
Andrew EisenYep, it's pretty clear that whoever at the IGDA grabbed that list, didn't look at it first. I think the fact that there's over 10,000 names on it should have been a bit of a red flag.11/22/2014 - 6:44pm
Wonderkarppenguin books is on the list. wow.11/22/2014 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpthats better, though I'd prefer something a little more than a simple tweet, I'll take it.11/22/2014 - 6:37pm
Andrew EisenKate Edwards' Twitter: "like people, tools are imperfect; we've removed it for now."11/22/2014 - 6:35pm
Andrew EisenHard to say with any certainty but it appears it at least understands the tool didn't do what it thought it did.11/22/2014 - 6:34pm
WonderkarpI've yet to find the IGDA responding too the situation other than deleting a link.11/22/2014 - 6:34pm
Matthew WilsonI hope the IGDA understands why its a mistake, that's all I want.11/22/2014 - 6:33pm
Andrew EisenHeh, lawyering up would be grossly overracting! And really silly. Well, if what the IGDA did say was not enough for you, try contacting them and letting them know how you feel.11/22/2014 - 6:31pm
Wonderkarpall I want is an apology from the IGDA. nothing fancy, not even addressed to me. Just something that says, "We messed up. We're Sorry" thats it. Not exactly those words except Sorry. If I was overreacting, I'd be lawyering up.11/22/2014 - 6:29pm
Andrew EisenI get it, I just think you're taking it the wrong way and overreacting.11/22/2014 - 6:27pm
Wonderkarpatleast Matthew understands why I am miffed at that list11/22/2014 - 6:26pm
Andrew EisenMatthew - That I agree with. Linking to that list was silly. Hopefully IGDA will more carefully vet the resources it links to make sure they do what they're supposed to.11/22/2014 - 6:25pm
Andrew EisenNope. No insults.11/22/2014 - 6:21pm
WonderkarpAnd here come the insults. Wanna throw some more?11/22/2014 - 6:18pm
Andrew EisenYou're an English major? Wow.11/22/2014 - 6:16pm
Matthew Wilsonno I am glad they did, but I want this talked about so it does not happen again.11/22/2014 - 6:15pm