Philly Preparing a Little Brotherly Love for Developers

February 24, 2010 -

Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter (pictured) has proposed new tax policies designed to make city more attractive to tech firms, including videogame developers.

Nutter unveiled the plan last week in a speech to the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce, reports Philly.com. The Mayor suggested that tech firms pay taxes only on goods and services sold within the city, which would provide some respite from the current system, in which “a company with headquarters and employees in the city pays more taxes than a company in the suburbs with the same sales figures in the city.”

The altered tax structure does not require City Council approval and will reportedly be introduced in the spring.

Game developer Mike Worth, of Space Whale Studios, located just outside of Philadelphia in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, told Metro International that the current state of tax affairs in Philly is what caused him to locate his company in the suburbs.  Worth, who is also an organizer for the Videogame Growth Initiative, a grass roots organization that has been lobbying for tax breaks in the city, estimates that the city has been losing 40 game graduates a year to other more attractive locales.

Worth is also a candidate for the International Game Developers Association (IGDA) board of directors.

Comments

Re: Philly Preparing a Little Brotherly Love for Developers

Why do I get the feeling a critic's gonna take a stab at his surname?

Who will it be, though? Jack? Yee? Vaz? Atkinson, maybe?

-----------------------------

"A Chrono Trigger is anything that unleashes its will or desire to change history!" -Gaspar
-----------------------------

Re: Philly Preparing a Little Brotherly Love for Developers

He's likley used to it by now. He had to go through school at some point you know. If they do it'll likely be nothing he hasn't heard before.

PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm