New Fund from Indie Developers Backs Indie Developers

March 3, 2010 -

Backed by a group of proven independent game developers, a new organization has launched with an aim to buck the traditional game publisher funding model by providing financing to up and coming game creators.

Indie Fund is comprised of Ron Carmel (pictured) and Kyle Gabler from 2D Boy (World of Goo), Jonathan Blow of Number One (Braid), Kelle Santiago from thatgamecompany (fl0wer), Nathan Vella of Capy (Critter Crunch), Matthew Wegner from Flashbang Studios (Off-Road Velociraptor Safari) and Aaron Isaksen of AppAbove Games (Armadillo Gold Rush).

The company’s goal is to, “is to support the growth of games as a medium by helping indie developers get financially independent and stay financially independent.”

Gamasutra has a Q&A on its site with Carmel, who offered some additional insight into the new venture. He indicated that funding discussions are already underway with several indie developers and that Indie Fund is equipped to back “a few games a year for two to three years.”

Carmel added:

Most developers today fund their games by bootstrapping or by signing a publishing deal. In many cases, those indies that sign a publishing deal don't really need a publisher; they just need funding and can easily handle everything else themselves.

Carmel will disclose more information on the project in a lecture at next week’s Game Developers Conference.

|Image from Flickr|

Comments

Re: New Fund from Indie Developers Backs Indie Developers

Ive never been sure, but indie means independant, correct? If so, please reply in confirmation.

A game that i have been watching for a while that could use some help is called Citadel of Sorcery. Its an MMO in development, but it is a long way away if it doesnt get some serious help. It has 27 ppl working on it atm, and what they hope to accomplish seems groundbreaking. My personal bump, i guess.

In war, truth is the first casualty.

In war, truth is the first casualty.

Re: New Fund from Indie Developers Backs Indie Developers

I have to say that an an indie MMO (unless we are talking browser-based), is NEVER going to happen.

EDIT: After checking their website, yeah, I've seen a good half dozen indie MMOs trying to do pretty much exactly the same sort of thing fail. I'm still gutted Exanimus (zombie-survival horror MMO) went belly up, and that had a much more unique premise than this.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: New Fund from Indie Developers Backs Indie Developers

I love Off-Road Velociraptor Safari!

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

Andrew EisenThe story you just linked to? The story you asked if anyone had seen? Yes, THAT obnoxiousness. I've heard it parroted for nearly two years now.11/27/2014 - 7:57pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: That shes an ex con man?11/27/2014 - 7:54pm
Andrew EisenI've heard the same obnoxious horse poo for years. It's nothing new.11/27/2014 - 7:45pm
ZippyDSMleeAlso anyone see this? http://guardianlv.com/2014/11/anita-sarkeesian-unmasked-feminist-icon-or-con-artist/11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
ZippyDSMleeEvil within is a badly designed game.11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
Andrew EisenSure but you said "widens," hence my confusion. Looking into it, yep, there's a tweak to completely re-frame the image, adding more info at the top and bottom. You apparently need a fairly beefy rig to keep it running smooth when you do that though.11/27/2014 - 6:48pm
Matthew Wilsonthere is vertical fov, not just horizontal fov11/27/2014 - 6:38pm
Andrew EisenWell, you can widen it to 3:1 or even 10:1 but I don't know why you'd want to. From what I understand it's the missing visual info at the top and bottom that some object to, not that there isn't enough on either side.11/27/2014 - 6:36pm
Matthew WilsonI think it widenss the fov, so you get to see more.11/27/2014 - 6:31pm
Andrew EisenI don't see how as doing so would not add any visual information to the top or bottom of the screen.11/27/2014 - 6:04pm
Matthew Wilsonfrom what I read, getting rid of the black bars and stretching it out made for a better play experience.11/27/2014 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenFrom what I hear, there's a ton of "look up and shoot at the guys above you" stuff in the game that the wider frame doesn't accommodate such actions well.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Andrew EisenHaving a game run in scope is not necessarily a bad thing but like any aspect ratio, you have to compose your shots correctly.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Evil Within was pretty bad and to make it worse the way the screen size made it hard for you to see even on a big screen it really hurt the game. Being Artistic is great but when you focus on art rather than what sells you run the risk of that happen11/27/2014 - 5:33pm
Matthew WilsonI kinda hope this is not true. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/nintendo_might_not_be_making_more_gamecube_controller_adapters_at_the_moment11/27/2014 - 1:34pm
Matthew WilsonI saw that. I wish people would stop preording, but sadly that will never happen.11/27/2014 - 1:26pm
Papa MidnightUbisoft has cancelled the Season Pass for Assassin's Creed: Unity (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2ni2ac/ubisoft_cancel_season_pass_for_ac_unity/)11/27/2014 - 1:08pm
NeenekoBut now I can use the christmas discount justification too,11/27/2014 - 11:46am
NeenekoI am also sorely temped by Civ:BE, mostly because I have a demo coming up and I know my productivity will tank.11/27/2014 - 11:45am
MaskedPixelanteThe Evil Within is only a month old, right? And it's already 66% off...11/27/2014 - 10:29am