New Fund from Indie Developers Backs Indie Developers

March 3, 2010 -

Backed by a group of proven independent game developers, a new organization has launched with an aim to buck the traditional game publisher funding model by providing financing to up and coming game creators.

Indie Fund is comprised of Ron Carmel (pictured) and Kyle Gabler from 2D Boy (World of Goo), Jonathan Blow of Number One (Braid), Kelle Santiago from thatgamecompany (fl0wer), Nathan Vella of Capy (Critter Crunch), Matthew Wegner from Flashbang Studios (Off-Road Velociraptor Safari) and Aaron Isaksen of AppAbove Games (Armadillo Gold Rush).

The company’s goal is to, “is to support the growth of games as a medium by helping indie developers get financially independent and stay financially independent.”

Gamasutra has a Q&A on its site with Carmel, who offered some additional insight into the new venture. He indicated that funding discussions are already underway with several indie developers and that Indie Fund is equipped to back “a few games a year for two to three years.”

Carmel added:

Most developers today fund their games by bootstrapping or by signing a publishing deal. In many cases, those indies that sign a publishing deal don't really need a publisher; they just need funding and can easily handle everything else themselves.

Carmel will disclose more information on the project in a lecture at next week’s Game Developers Conference.

|Image from Flickr|

Comments

Re: New Fund from Indie Developers Backs Indie Developers

Ive never been sure, but indie means independant, correct? If so, please reply in confirmation.

A game that i have been watching for a while that could use some help is called Citadel of Sorcery. Its an MMO in development, but it is a long way away if it doesnt get some serious help. It has 27 ppl working on it atm, and what they hope to accomplish seems groundbreaking. My personal bump, i guess.

In war, truth is the first casualty.

In war, truth is the first casualty.

Re: New Fund from Indie Developers Backs Indie Developers

I have to say that an an indie MMO (unless we are talking browser-based), is NEVER going to happen.

EDIT: After checking their website, yeah, I've seen a good half dozen indie MMOs trying to do pretty much exactly the same sort of thing fail. I'm still gutted Exanimus (zombie-survival horror MMO) went belly up, and that had a much more unique premise than this.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: New Fund from Indie Developers Backs Indie Developers

I love Off-Road Velociraptor Safari!

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Poll

Who's responsible for crappy Netflix performance on Verizon?:

MaskedPixelanteIf by "distance themselves from Google Plus" you mean "forcing Google Plus integration in everything", then yes, they are distancing themselves from Google Plus.07/26/2014 - 12:20pm
MechaTama31I wish they would distance G+ from the Play Store, so I could leave reviews and comments again.07/26/2014 - 11:03am
Papa MidnightGoogle+ Integration is coming to Twitch!07/25/2014 - 8:41pm