UK Advertising Codes Updated, Games Addressed

March 17, 2010 -

The UK’s Committee of Advertising Practice (CAP) and the Broadcast Committee of Advertising Practice (BCAP) have launched a series of new advertising codes.

The updates go into effect on September 1, 2010 and include new mandates related to videogame advertising. Radio ads for games that have an 18+ rating are listed under the “Special Category,” meaning that they must be centrally cleared by the Radio Advertising Clearance Centre (RAAC). Other entries in this category include ads for alcohol, slimming products, gambling products and services, religious organizations, adult shops and charities.

Radio ads for 18+ rated games are also required by BCAP (PDF) to obtain “central copy clearance,” joining ads for adult shops, stripograms, escort agencies and R18+ rated videos.

18+, 16+ or 15+ rated games may not be advertised, either on television or the radio, “in or adjacent to programmes commissioned for, principally directed at or likely to appeal particularly to persons below the age of 16.”

CAP codes (PDF) cover non-broadcast type advertising such as online ads, ads contained on DVDs or other film mediums and in-game advertisements, though no specific directives were offered for the latter category.

One of the main goals of the new codes was to govern the increased usage of claims that products are environmentally friendly. Such claims must now be based on the full life cycle of a product or service, unless the ad states otherwise. Advertisers were directed that they “must not mislead consumers about the environmental benefit that a product or service offers.”

Posted in

Comments

Re: UK Advertising Codes Updated, Games Addressed

"Other entries in this category include ads for alcohol, slimming products, gambling products and services, religious organizations, adult shops and charities."

I gotta admit. I lolled a bit at that.

-Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis-It is best to endure what you cannot change-

Re: UK Advertising Codes Updated, Games Addressed

I'm fine with the Radio announcement thing, if it applies to Movies, then it should apply to games, I'm more concerned about the first one, however, if the 'special category' doesn't include 18+ movies, there's a little bit of concern there, though it's interesting that charities are also in that list, so the list isn't neccesarily about stuff that is 'bad', in fact, I'm not quite sure what the purpose of that list is.

Re: UK Advertising Codes Updated, Games Addressed

they fall under sex stuff now? not all r18 games infact most wont contain any kind of sex

Re: UK Advertising Codes Updated, Games Addressed

Stripogram? What the hell is a Stripogram? I really, really hope it's what I imiagine it being.. Either way, Stripograms sound awesome. :P

Re: UK Advertising Codes Updated, Games Addressed

Basically, a stripper who travels to you instead of you going to a strip-club or the like, very popular as surprises to the main guest at certain kinds of parties, 21st's, Graduations, Stag-nights etc :)

MattsworknameBIG: how does that make sense?08/05/2015 - 12:18am
Big PermLenny Kravitz penis has been trending all day08/04/2015 - 11:45pm
MattsworknameSo far, Win 8 gave me nothing but problems08/04/2015 - 11:18pm
MattsworknameI;ll see what I can come up with tomarow08/04/2015 - 11:16pm
ZippyDSMleethose is the issue.08/04/2015 - 10:47pm
ZippyDSMleeOdd, even with admin? I have UAC turned off so I do not have to fuss with it too much, also in order to run FO3/NV you need DX,VC++ 010, mmm might try and download VC++ distro pack both 32 and 64bit from 8 to 2012 or so and isntall them see if one of thos08/04/2015 - 10:46pm
MattsworknameTried that 2 zippy, it still wouldn't work08/04/2015 - 10:43pm
ZippyDSMleeI have had to run NV in compatibility mode before. I have both FO3 and NV running fine with a bunch of mods on win8.108/04/2015 - 10:24pm
MattsworknameI did the direct x 9 fix, issue remains08/04/2015 - 10:13pm
MattsworknameI've had issues with it since the start really, as soon as I tried to run it on Win 8.1, vegas woudl crash as soon as i launched it, even when using the base game08/04/2015 - 10:12pm
MattsworknameManta: I run into issues the moment I try to use any mods. and some times even no mods08/04/2015 - 10:09pm
MattsworknameChris ray gun on the gawker media scandel from a few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGv0KTV9IM08/04/2015 - 10:08pm
black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm
Big PermOh wow, yeah cleared my entire history and now suggestions are subs instead08/04/2015 - 9:15pm
Big PermI think you can mecha. Unless it's just removing it from your UI and still tracking it behind the scenes08/04/2015 - 9:11pm
MechaTama31It would be nice if Youtube just let you delete a video from your history, like Netflix does.08/04/2015 - 9:09pm
black mantaF3 and NV have long been since fixed. They run great on Windows 8 and 8.1. And there's also the Unofficial Patch for F3 and the Mission Mojave patch for NV in case they don't.08/04/2015 - 9:05pm
MattsworknameYeah Big, but for those who had the game for long times, it is to late for that08/04/2015 - 8:43pm