Texas School Grants Back Wii-Based Initiatives

March 30, 2010 -

The Lindale Independent School District Education Foundation of Lindale, Texas has awarded grants to 23 teachers that will fund classroom projects, including two based around Nintendo’s Wii console.

The Early Childhood Center was one recipient; with teachers Cookie Hartley and June Wright (pictured) receiving $1,021.40 in order to fund their project called Wii Can Do It! The project utilizes Wii games as “therapy and instructional tools” for preschool students afflicted with disabilities. Use of the Wii will promote a way to “address educational goals and objectives in the areas of communication and academics” in the youngsters.

All told, the Foundation gave out $13,802.36 in grants to fund six projects.

LISD Education Foundation President John Driver added, “The enthusiasm of the donors who went with us and the teachers who received grants made for a very exciting morning.”

Comments

Re: Texas School Grants Back Wii-Based Initiatives

A bit of advice first...ASK THE KIDS WHAT THEY WANT FIRST AND BUY THE GAMES ON THEIR LIST!

I see a real breakdown in comminication with this if the school only buys educational games for the kids only to find that the kids might want to play something like Mario Kart Wii, or Super Smash Bros Brawl instead...

TBoneTony

Re: Texas School Grants Back Wii-Based Initiatives

Yeah, how dare a school buy educational stuff for their students.

---

You KILL Vampires. You don't DATE them.

--- With the first link, the chain is forged.

Re: Texas School Grants Back Wii-Based Initiatives

"An additional $1,121.30 went to Cynthia Peters and Bobbie Williams of the Lindale Primary School for their project entitled Wii Fit, Wii Moving and Wii Happy. This program lets students “experience technology in a fun and creative way,” as they learn teamwork and build self-esteem, along with improving their “hand-eye coordination, balance, range of motion, gross motor skills, body awareness, and rhythm.”

Translation: They are going to buy a couple of Wiis and some multiplayer games.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: Texas School Grants Back Wii-Based Initiatives

Thats the way I read it, but mostly it will be shovelwhere that the kids may not want to play, and then it will be all blown up in their faces when they realize they brought allot of games without asking the kids at their school what sort of games did they want first.

TBoneTony