Video Game Voter Network Hits 200K Users

March 31, 2010 -

The Video Game Voters Network (VGVN), an organization backed by the Entertainment Software Association (ESA), announced that it has eclipsed the 200,000 member mark.

Launched in 2006, the VGVN bills itself as “a place for American gamers to organize and defend against threats to video games by registering to vote and letting Congress know how important this issue is to the community.” The organization said that it leveraged its user-base 46 times last year in order to get thousands of letters sent to politicians regarding political legislation.

Michael Gallagher, President of the ESA, had this to say about VGVN’s grass-root members, “They support their choice of entertainment by contacting elected officials and making their voices heard. Our industry is fortunate to have these dedicated individuals helping to preserve the rights of computer and video game consumers and makers.”

The most recent action on the VGVN website urges members to send an email to California State Senator Leland Yee to congratulate him on winning an award from the First Amendment Coalition for supporting government transparency and the rights of journalists, and to urge him to “carry that First Amendment vigilance” over to gamers and videogames. Yee, of course, authored the original California statute that would have made the sale of M-rated games to minors a crime. The case is still in appeal in the U.S. Supreme Court.

Comments

Re: Video Game Voter Network Hits 200K Users

heh, no surprise. Most likely because once you join, there' no option to cancel registration

Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.destructoid.com/director-del-toro-says-silent-hi… Can not say I am surprised sadly. I feel bad for del Toro because every time he tries to do a video game project it falls apart.04/26/2015 - 1:42pm
Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm