TIGA Offers Manifesto for Next Parliament

April 7, 2010 -

In the wake of British Prime Minister Gordon Brown receiving the go-ahead from the Queen to dissolve Parliament and hold general elections on May 6, game industry group TIGA has issued its own agenda for the next Parliament.

The “Election Manifesto” (PDF) promotes three “pressing” issues to deal with: the introduction of Games Tax Relief as soon as possible, retention and expansion of the SME R&D tax credit scheme (from 175.0 percent of qualifying expenditures to 200.0 percent) and a decrease in tuition fees for students studying subjects that correlate those needed by  game developers.

TIGA CEO Richard Wilson stated, “TIGA’s proposals address the key challenges our industry faces – from skill shortages and the lack of appropriately qualified graduates, through to specific tax, fiscal and monetary policies, encouraging investment in new IP, research and development, workforce development, education, business support, combating piracy and the UK classification system."

All told, TIGA offers 30 policy areas that the next government should focus on, including:

The video games industry should be promoted as a career option at school to encourage the study of science and mathematics subjects.

To tackle piracy, IP owners should be encouraged to adopt new technological solutions and business models. The most egregious serial pirates should be prosecuted.

The Pan-European Games Information (PEGI) age ratings system should be made compulsory for all boxed games designed for those aged 12 or above.

There is no case for creating either a new UK Video Games Council or for extending the remit of the existing Film Council to embrace the video games sector. Government departments in Whitehall should continue the existing process of holding regular meetings with industry trade associations.

Accredited trade organisations like TIGA should be able to use UK Trade & Investment (UKT&I) grants to cover travel and accommodation costs as well exhibition expenses.

Poll

Will an M rating hurt Batman: Arkham Knight's sales?:

ZippyDSMleeFun? I can do fun…. I think LOL. Dungeons 2 is on preorder but not via steam... >> Hell I am breaking all kinds of personal butthurt rules to even THINK about pre order...02/27/2015 - 8:12pm
E. Zachary KnightHad some fun discussions about that dumb dress on Facebook. I opened the original picture in GIMP and sampled the colors and determined them to be Blue and Gold. People still say I am wrong.02/27/2015 - 7:41pm
ConsterTime for something completely different: #teamwhiteandgoldllama!02/27/2015 - 7:27pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: I'll try. ^^02/27/2015 - 5:40pm
ZippyDSMlee james_fudge: That’s what I been doing damnit!! *bites your leg*. LOL All but a couple posts have been written in word 2010. This has had my full attention so I’ve been able to keep some consistency up today which is nice a shame it’s still gibberish ><02/27/2015 - 5:38pm
Andrew EisenLike I said, if you want to have a discussion or get a question answered, I'm more than happy to oblige. All I ask in return is you have enough respect for everyone else to take the time to compose a readable post.02/27/2015 - 5:35pm
ZippyDSMleeI suppose it would be poor of me to say this but thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions, it does help me every now and then to discuss things and update or refine my opinion on stuff.. I do miss the forums here….02/27/2015 - 5:31pm
james_fudgeYou could run it through Word :) It's not that hard.02/27/2015 - 5:30pm
ZippyDSMleeSomething’s I can be clearer on more simple constructs making me better understood. Stack my weaknesses with complex constructs and my bad sense of humor and ya it’s a mess.. Consistent clarity is a pain in the butt for me.02/27/2015 - 5:22pm
ZippyDSMleeHave I ever held a covnersion this long that dose not have issues?02/27/2015 - 5:18pm
ZippyDSMleeBetween being learning disabled and having “quirks” from 5th grade I communicate in streaming conscious, I derive information from written words out of order giving me issues revolving around context.02/27/2015 - 5:17pm
Andrew EisenYou're bullshitting. You can communicate clearly. I've seen you do it. If you want to have a discussion, fine. I'm more than happy to oblige but I'm not going to waste any more of my time if you insist on hiding behind the Zippy character.02/27/2015 - 5:15pm
ZippyDSMleeThose that walk the harsh path of grammar are blind to those that nibble upon it. Of course it helps incoherence is my friend…. LOL02/27/2015 - 5:14pm
Andrew EisenAgain, your comments make no damn sense.02/27/2015 - 5:10pm
ZippyDSMleeMabye if I put my brains in a blender I would think better...I dunno... LOL02/27/2015 - 5:09pm
ZippyDSMleequestion. God this is what I get for writing for the last 3 days…. to much over damn thinking….02/27/2015 - 5:07pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: I was going to say… the basis of feminism(and many things) is group opinion, because she is a part of the group how can she not be influenced by and be lost in whose opinion starts where…but I guess that’s more an existential general human 02/27/2015 - 5:06pm
ZippyDSMleeoy vay this palce hates Noscript I dunno if tis the post being copied from word or scrit issues but it will not let me post sometimes.02/27/2015 - 5:00pm
Andrew EisenYes, I am not portraying her as someone who does not use opinions in her various talks and presentations.02/27/2015 - 4:59pm
ZippyDSMleeattack than think.02/27/2015 - 4:58pm