Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

April 12, 2010 -

In a bid to limit the screen time of its young gamers, Korea has unveiled some drastic initiatives.

Korea’s Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism will try to block certain online games after midnight, reports the Korea Herald. Midnight, however, appears to be a generic term, as gamers will be able to choose their specific six-hour long gaming black-out period: 12AM – 6AM, 1AM - 7AM or 2AM - 8 AM. Under the plan, online access to massively multiplayer games would automatically shut off at the appointed time.

A secondary aspect of the policy would have the Internet speeds of young gamers throttled down if users remain online for a “lengthy” period of time. The slowdown policy is said to be in current testing on four online games, with plans to spread the procedure to 19 games in total in the second half of 2010.

The Ministry will also target young gamers who use the registration numbers of their parents in order to circumnavigate such restrictions.

Comments

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

That is stupid! I'm glad I don't live in Korea. But I bet one of the MMO's is WOW.

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

Wow, talk about one of the stupidest ideas in the history of human thought. I hope the people responsible DIAF.

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

Direct International Action Films??

Thats a crazy reward!

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

Oops, double post and no delete button

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

So what, gamers are like mogwai? Never feed them after midnight?

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

2 Am to 8 am

why would you play that late? idd be sleeping :)

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

A lot of people prefer to be up at night and sleep in the morning.  Also, if you work the graveyard shift, then your days off would put your free time sometime between 12:00 AM to 8:00AM.

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

I'm sure someone will discover some way to mask whatever the program uses to identify and target people for throttling or black-outs, therefore just switching said info every couple of hours, completely negating the system.

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

Under a week before someone has a way to bypass it.

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

I call 24-48 hours in the pool...

===============

Chris Kimberley

===============

Chris Kimberley

Re: Korea to Impose Gaming Black-Out Periods

If the means gets international support, I call the 12-24 block.

Poll