Man Uses Xbox Live to Threaten Witness

April 14, 2010 -

Taking Xbox Live smack talk to another level, a Hamden, Connecticut man has been arrested for using the online service to threaten a witness.

23-year old Anthony Hayward was arrested in New Haven last year for allegedly having drugs and a stolen gun in his car, reports the Hartford Courant. Freed after posting $75,000 bail, Hayward logged into his Xbox Live account last December in order to type threats to someone that is apparently a witness in Hayward’s drug/gun case.

The witness received a message that said “Rats Die Slow,” and Hayward also referred to the person as a “dead man walking.”

For these threats, Hayward was charged with harassment, intimidating a witness and tampering with a witness. He was arraigned on Tuesday in Milford Superior Court and held on $50,000 bail.

Comments

Re: Man Uses Xbox Live to Threaten Witness

pardon my language but that fucker deserves to be put into jail. seriously! i hate it when people try to get them selves out of a case by threatening a witness to their crimes. but i guess that will never change -.-

Re: Man Uses Xbox Live to Threaten Witness

Guess he just flat out wasn't thinking, as the police can request information on a user from Microsoft, and tracing an IP address is hardly a problem these days.

Re: Man Uses Xbox Live to Threaten Witness

You & I & others that know that, know that information. On the other hand this guy just wasn't thinking & didn't know the cops could track him down. He is plainly an idiot. (They walk among us.)

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Re: Man Uses Xbox Live to Threaten Witness

In this case, I guess he just thought he was a lot more intimidating then he really was. He figured the person would read those messages, stop talking to the police and he wouldn't have to worry about being tracked down.

In the real world, they just tell the police you are threatening them and you get in even more trouble.

Re: Man Uses Xbox Live to Threaten Witness

A classic internety-tough-guy act. Figured he'd ramin anonymous.

Matthew Wilsonmetaphorically speaking of course04/17/2015 - 9:40pm