Italian Org Promotes and Defends Games

April 20, 2010 -

A relatively new Italian organization has been formed in order to defend and promote the legitimization of videogames as a medium of art, culture.

The Association of Interactive Multimedia Works (AIOMI) is headquartered in Rome and led by President Marco Accordi Rickards, who is said to have coined the term “conscious gamer,” which the AIOMI is based around.

A “conscious gamer” is defined as “one who makes use passionate, intelligent and informed of the videogame medium…. knows that the game is not only a form of entertainment, but also a means of artistic expression of thought, able to convey messages, ideas and emotions.”

This type of gamer differs from the casual or hardcore gamer because he or she is aware of the cultural background of videogames and feels pride over being part of such a “small elite” group.
AIOMI is seeking members in order to help it defend the rights of the Italian game industry and video games.

AIOMI appears to have been formed sometime in 2008. The embedded video is the organization’s latest marketing effort. Wonder if Roger Ebert would like it?

Comments

Re: Italian Org Promotes and Defends Games

The whole idea of being part of a "'small elite' group" seems a bit like they're trying to out-snob the art snobs, but I think their hearts are in the right place.

Re: Italian Org Promotes and Defends Games

Games can't be art. Games actually make you feel good. Art is only supposed to make you feel pompous.

Poll

Have you visited a video game arcade in the last year?:

MechaTama31I sure have. Dorky's barcade in Tacoma, WA.08/20/2014 - 5:56pm
Matthew WilsonI have not been to a arcade in years. I know arcades are still big in japan.08/20/2014 - 5:38pm
Sleaker@AE - Ah no it's called GroundKontrol - I was just referring to it as a Bar-Arcade.08/20/2014 - 4:39pm
Andrew EisenStill looking for confirmation that High Moon Studios (dev behind the PS3/360 versions) isn't working on it.08/20/2014 - 4:38pm
ZenGotcha.08/20/2014 - 4:37pm
Andrew EisenI already updated the story with it!08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
Zenhttp://www.gonintendo.com/s/235574-treyarch-isn-t-working-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-for-wii-u-either08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
ZenLet me send the link for the Tweet as well...they state Treyarch is not working on it. Grabbing it now.08/20/2014 - 4:34pm
Andrew EisenWhere does it say that "NO dev is working on it"?08/20/2014 - 4:33pm
ZenHere's the link for my last comment: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/20/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-not-coming-to-wii-u08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
ZenWell, Call of Duty is skipping Wii U completely it seems...they updated that NO dev is working on it. Great way to just skip a market.08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
Andrew EisenYeah, Dave and Busters back in 2011 was the last time for me.08/20/2014 - 4:16pm
ZenWell, I tried lol. We just got a Dave and Busters on the beach but haven't been there yet...may go this weekend.08/20/2014 - 3:52pm
Andrew EisenIt's called The Bar-Arcade? Missed opportunity. I would have gone with Barcade.08/20/2014 - 3:25pm
SleakerThe Bar-Arcade however did have a lot of good pinball machines, they were however always taken as the place was packed..08/20/2014 - 1:17pm
Sleakerso I've been to an Arcade-Bar, not that great of a place has some okay machines, but generally over-packed. And then all the kid-friendly ones have is ticket-games nothing actually good unfortunately :(08/20/2014 - 1:14pm
Andrew EisenIf it has an area dedicated to arcade machines, I'd say it counts. Arcade machine in your house though, nope.08/20/2014 - 12:16pm
ZenDoes it count if you have actual arcade machines in your house?08/20/2014 - 12:01pm
E. Zachary KnightWith the current poll, I guess it all depends on how one defines "arcade". If Chuck E Cheese or similar multipurpose businesses count, then that is a yes for me.08/20/2014 - 11:59am
ZenLet the ax fall Sleaker...lessons MUST be learned...08/20/2014 - 11:44am