Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

April 20, 2010 -

A promotion for the release of Splinter Cell: Conviction in New Zealand, complete with an armed “Sam Fisher,” went awry, causing members of the public to dive for cover after someone screamed “He’s got a gun!”

According to the New Zealand Herald, a man dressed as Fisher, with bandages wrapped around his hands and a fake gun, pointed his weapon at bar goers in Auckland’s Viaduct Basin. Someone thought the weapon was real and yelled a warning, causing the people in the bar to take cover. Police were called, and even though they thought the gun was real, they managed to diffuse the situation without hurting anyone.

Regional distributor Monaco Corporation had hired an unnamed marketing agency to setup the stunt and claimed to know nothing about a gun being involved.

Monaco Marketing Manager Duane Mutu apologized for the stunt, saying, “This was by no means an attempt to get cops down there and get this sort of exposure. It was just marketing gone wrong."

Senior Sergeant Ben Offner offered, “We consider these types of stunts to be very ill-advised and have real concerns a similar one may one day end in tragedy.”

Note that the story refers to Splinter Cell: Evolution, but the just-released title is called Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Thanks Ryan and Iheartassassinmaids!

Comments

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

That's funny.

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

Look like this guy just got

*putting sunglasses on*

convicted

Yeaaaaaahhhhh!!!! (CSI: Miami music playing)

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

It wasn't me! I was set up! You can't do this to me mdo caine!

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

It's a real shame the instant CSI site is down, otherwise I'd totally link it here.

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

They managed to diffuse the situation?  Neat.  I didn't realize situations could be scattered or spread out.  ;)

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

Whoever thought this up needs to lose their job.

*facepalm*

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

This is the best advertisement ever.

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

Good thing our old pal JT taught us that there is no such thing as bad publicity (I mean, I discovered Bioshock and System Shock thanks to him).

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

I don't recall him saying anything about BioShock. Was it his comments about 2K?

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

I think he was one of those on the "Bioshock let's you brutally murder children" party wagon.

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

Even bad publicity is good publicity. This ad agency should go to the clink.

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

Really? They didn't think this could possibly go badly?

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

I have a feeling if someone was just 'joking around' the would be in jail right now.

But because it was related to commerce, somehow it makes it non-criminal.....

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

I hope who ever thought this was a good marketing plan gets fire for this.

Re: Splinter Cell Marketing Goes Bad

Somebody pass this along to Mayor Menino and explain that THIS is what an inappropriate marketing campaign looks like.

Mattsworknamehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vx4_prmvo09/01/2015 - 3:18am
MattsworknameTotal bisquit talkes about why teh Deus X pre order systems is garbage.09/01/2015 - 3:18am
PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm