Ex-LAPD Chief and Game Consultant Daryl Gates Dies

April 22, 2010 -

Former Los Angeles police chief Daryl Gates, known to the general public for his tenure during the Rodney King riots in the 1990's, but better known to gamers as a consultant on the iconic Police Quest series of Sierra adventure games, died last week at 83. Gates had been suffering from cancer in his bladder and hipbone.

Gates was considered the "father" of modern SWAT teams, so it comes as no surprise that he was one of the chief consultants on the Police Quest: SWAT series (the series later dropped the Police Quest title), even lending his name to the box cover of the first SWAT game.

He previously was the namesake and a senior designer on "Daryl Gates' Police Quest IV: Open Season", noted for being one of the most realistic games of the Police Quest series.

Moby Games credits Gates as working on six games in total.

Comments

Re: Ex-LAPD Chief and Game Consultant Daryl Gates Dies

I remember Daryl Gates from the LA Riots. Now those were interesting times. It's not often you go outside and smell smoke from fires burning on every corner of your block, and it's not everyday that you find yourself protecting local stores from looters, LOL.

Re: Ex-LAPD Chief and Game Consultant Daryl Gates Dies

Actually the games were just called Police Quest. The fifth Police Quest game was the first of the series to use the SWAT moniker. It was also the final one to use the Police Quest title as well. After that they began just calling the series SWAT which removed any resemblance of gameplay styles from the original PQ series.

Re: Ex-LAPD Chief and Game Consultant Daryl Gates Dies

Rest in Peace Officer Gates.

Re: Ex-LAPD Chief and Game Consultant Daryl Gates Dies

He's telling St. Peter "you're in my way, sir..." now.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

benohawkI've had no issues so far08/04/2015 - 6:45pm
MattsworknameSame here so far, minus some issues with a few old games, it's been solid for me. I do think they need to adjust some of the interface in the start menu, but I can work with it08/04/2015 - 5:56pm
Matthew WilsonI like it, havent had any major issues.08/04/2015 - 5:45pm
MattsworknameSo, now t hta we have had time to mess with it, whats everyones view on windows 10?08/04/2015 - 5:43pm
james_fudgeNot I, said the fly.08/04/2015 - 4:31pm
Big PermAnyone use an Intel 750?08/04/2015 - 3:40pm
E. Zachary KnightSome great comments about gender diversity in game development from GDC Europe. http://gamasutra.com/view/news/250417/Women_in_the_game_industry_share_stories_of_improving_diversity.php08/04/2015 - 3:11pm
Sora-Chan@EZK: It's kind sad that kind of thing still occurs to this day (and for good reasons...)08/04/2015 - 2:33pm
E. Zachary KnightA woman author shares her experience submitting her manuscript to publishing agents under a man's name. http://jezebel.com/homme-de-plume-what-i-learned-sending-my-novel-out-und-172063762708/04/2015 - 1:21pm
james_fudgeme either. They are rolling it out in phases.08/04/2015 - 12:41pm
Big PermI haven't got my notification yet, even though I reserved it the day the pop up came.08/04/2015 - 12:27pm
james_fudgeThanks Matthew. I have not yet installed Windows 10, but the complaints about it have been minimal.08/04/2015 - 12:19pm
benohawkhttp://goo.gl/6yZ7EO suggests you can kill it all, but I haven't tested it on my system as of yet. And I wouldn't recommend digging in the registry or playing around withdisabling services for most users08/04/2015 - 12:18pm
Matthew Wilsonyes you can turn it off08/04/2015 - 12:15pm
james_fudgeCan you completely disable it though? I think you can minimize what it collects.08/04/2015 - 12:06pm
benohawkThe Win 10 data collection sounds scary, but I think it would be just too much data to be useful08/04/2015 - 11:57am
benohawkNo need to apologize Big Perm08/04/2015 - 11:55am
benohawkThe changing to 0 only being a 1 was local security policy change, not the reghack08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermSorry Beno, it looks like you're right.08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermFrom what I've heard (and obviously I could be wrong here), but I hear even setting it to "0" in the registry will only change to "1" or "Basic" collection. I'll try to find the article I got this from08/04/2015 - 11:40am