Wall Street’s Need for Speed Involves Game Tech

April 30, 2010 -

Videogame technology is being adapted by Wall Street in a bid to speed up the execution of trades.

A Wall Street Journal story claims that more and more firms are implementing  field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs), graphics processing units (GPUs) and cell processors (like in the PlayStation 3)—technology taken from the aerospace, medical and gaming fields—as they attempt to shave microseconds off of transactions.

The newer technologies take pressure off a computer’s central processing unit (CPU) and operating system, allowing computers to operate faster.

Technology introduced by Nvidia a few years back is making the task a bit easier:

Programming hardware remains a hurdle but is getting easier. That is especially the case in the GPU arena, because it has benefited from development of Open Computing Language, which enables programs to be written in such a way that they will work across CPUs and GPUs. Nvidia Corp., a maker of GPUs, several years ago added technology into its GPUs that helps those knowing how to program CPUs to also program GPUs.

Comments

Re: Wall Street’s Need for Speed Involves Game Tech

Yay, so they'll be able to spend other people's money faster.

Re: Wall Street’s Need for Speed Involves Game Tech

and lose it faster too

PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm
Andrew EisenGP Movie Night!08/31/2015 - 8:41pm
Big PermEveyone should be too busy with phantom pain to notice GP is down. Hail Vidya!08/31/2015 - 8:40pm