Assassin’s Creed Pirate Sentenced

May 4, 2010 -

A Charlotte, North Carolina man who stole a PC game from a disc replicator (his employer)—and subsequently uploaded it to an online warez group—has been sentenced to three months in a halfway house.

Dow Jones reports that Christopher Anzalone also received five year’s probation and was slapped with a $25,000 fine for his theft of Assassin’s Creed from Optical Experts Manufacturing (OEM). The game was in the midst of being duplicated for commercial distribution at the time of the crime in February of 2008.

As noted by The Escapist, Optical Experts Manufacturing’s apparent inability to protect its clients from this type of theft resulted in Ubisoft suing OEM in mid-2008 for $10.0 million, alleging “an extraordinary breach of trust and gross negligence.”

According to court records, the lawsuit was terminated via a stipulation of dismissal with prejudice, which declared that “the parties shall bear their own costs, including attorney’s fees, in this action.”

Comments

Re: Assassin’s Creed Pirate Sentenced

Take that, you damn dirty Templar!

"That's not ironic. That's justice."

"That's not ironic. That's justice."

Re: Assassin’s Creed Pirate Sentenced

I've heard of halfway houses for people released from prison and for substance abuse but how can you have a halfway house for people involved with onilne warez?? Seems like a mismatching of concepts. I'm guessing there must have been several other issues going on in this guy's life that prompted the ruling or something.

Re: Assassin’s Creed Pirate Sentenced

Corperate level IP theft I'd wager.....

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! CP/IP laws should not effect the daily life of common people! http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/

---

Re: Assassin’s Creed Pirate Sentenced

But what exactly would they do in a halfway house for corporate IP theft? I could understand a fine or a prison sentence or even some kind of blacklisting but what exactly would a halfway house for corporate IP theft be like??

Re: Assassin’s Creed Pirate Sentenced

Physical theft isn't a DRM issue, it's a theft issue. Frankly I'm disappointed that he got off so easily.

Re: Assassin’s Creed Pirate Sentenced

Perhaps the Judge got screwed by there DRM?

Re: Assassin’s Creed Pirate Sentenced

Stealing from work..........oy vay......

---

Re: Assassin’s Creed Pirate Sentenced

So, how is that DRM stuff working out again?

Oh, right, it isn't.