Games Workshop Targets Warhammer Fansite

May 10, 2010 -

WarhammerAlliance.com, one of the larger fansites for the Warhammer Online series, has been sued for cybersquatting and unfair competition, but not by EA Mythic. The suit was filed by the creators of the Warhammer IP, Games Workshop, against the operators of the fansite, Curse, Inc.

This is not the first time that Games Workshop has gone after a fan site—they once went after retail game shops—but it does appear to be the first time where the lawsuit was over a commercial video game (Games Workshop primarily makes tabletop games and accessories).

The full complaint can be viewed here (PDF).

Comments

Re: Games Workshop Targets Warhammer Fansite

This was why I stopped buying GW stuff years ago, they were using cheaper and cheaper molds for the goods, even reverting to plastic models in some cases, charging more and more for the honour of less and less quality, and they hated their own customers.

Used to have a Dark Elf army, and a Chaos Dwarf army, but when I found out the real nature of GW, they ended up being recruited in as High Elves and Dwarves in a different companies rulebook :)

Re: Games Workshop Targets Warhammer Fansite

I was a bit of a Wood Elf fan, myself.  I didn't have enough money at the time to fully invest in my army, though.

Re: Games Workshop Targets Warhammer Fansite

My brother had wood-elf and Orcs, we actually decided to get those particular armies because sending Orcs against Wood Elves was like entering an ass-kicking competition against a porcupine, you'd lose most of your Orcs before they were halfway across the board to a mass of Archers and Bolt-Throwers., what was left fell to War-Dancers and/or Treemen ;)

Thing is, I still love games like Dawn of War, Warhammer was a great game, but the reason for GW's big early-90's collapse, where loads of their shops closed etc, was greed, nothing else.

Re: Games Workshop Targets Warhammer Fansite

This should surprise no one - Games Workshop is notoriously sue-happy and they honestly seem to outright loathe their biggest fans.  I say this as someone who just dropped probably $300 on a new Tau army and paints and stuff, so don't think I just hate the Warhams or anything.  GW is just a pretty terrible company that seems to hate the Internet and the fans who give them the most free advertising.

Example: Games Workshop said that they would cut rules for special characters from future versions of Blood Bowl (the tabletop game, you videoheads!) if another company didn't stop producing miniatures that could arguably be used as standins for characters GW had never released models for.  They didn't offer a C&D, they didn't try to license it out for mutual profit, they held their own rules for ransom.  It's like their business decisions are made by a whiny twelve-year-old.

Re: Games Workshop Targets Warhammer Fansite

Looks like Warhammer Online is really in a spot in trouble if they've hit the point of suing their fans to recoup lost revenue.

Honestly, I can't think of another reason why they would sue over a site that they have actively promoted in the past and accuse them of cybersquatting (which is only legally binding on a DNS if it's not being used for anything.)

Re: Games Workshop Targets Warhammer Fansite

/sigh

The article explicitly said it wasn't EAMythic (the publishers and developers of WAR) that were suing.  It's Games Workshop, the company that makes pewter figurines and publishes the rulesets for Warhammer the tabletop game, that's suing.  Why?  I don't know.  What I do know is that Mythic is probably cursing under their breath right now.  WAR isn't doing as well as they had originally hoped (though is still holding it's own), and they don't need their loyal fanbase being antagonized like this.

Poll

Will an M rating hurt Batman: Arkham Knight's sales?:

E. Zachary KnightHad some fun discussions about that dumb dress on Facebook. I opened the original picture in GIMP and sampled the colors and determined them to be Blue and Gold. People still say I am wrong.02/27/2015 - 7:41pm
ConsterTime for something completely different: #teamwhiteandgoldllama!02/27/2015 - 7:27pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: I'll try. ^^02/27/2015 - 5:40pm
ZippyDSMlee james_fudge: That’s what I been doing damnit!! *bites your leg*. LOL All but a couple posts have been written in word 2010. This has had my full attention so I’ve been able to keep some consistency up today which is nice a shame it’s still gibberish ><02/27/2015 - 5:38pm
Andrew EisenLike I said, if you want to have a discussion or get a question answered, I'm more than happy to oblige. All I ask in return is you have enough respect for everyone else to take the time to compose a readable post.02/27/2015 - 5:35pm
ZippyDSMleeI suppose it would be poor of me to say this but thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions, it does help me every now and then to discuss things and update or refine my opinion on stuff.. I do miss the forums here….02/27/2015 - 5:31pm
james_fudgeYou could run it through Word :) It's not that hard.02/27/2015 - 5:30pm
ZippyDSMleeSomething’s I can be clearer on more simple constructs making me better understood. Stack my weaknesses with complex constructs and my bad sense of humor and ya it’s a mess.. Consistent clarity is a pain in the butt for me.02/27/2015 - 5:22pm
ZippyDSMleeHave I ever held a covnersion this long that dose not have issues?02/27/2015 - 5:18pm
ZippyDSMleeBetween being learning disabled and having “quirks” from 5th grade I communicate in streaming conscious, I derive information from written words out of order giving me issues revolving around context.02/27/2015 - 5:17pm
Andrew EisenYou're bullshitting. You can communicate clearly. I've seen you do it. If you want to have a discussion, fine. I'm more than happy to oblige but I'm not going to waste any more of my time if you insist on hiding behind the Zippy character.02/27/2015 - 5:15pm
ZippyDSMleeThose that walk the harsh path of grammar are blind to those that nibble upon it. Of course it helps incoherence is my friend…. LOL02/27/2015 - 5:14pm
Andrew EisenAgain, your comments make no damn sense.02/27/2015 - 5:10pm
ZippyDSMleeMabye if I put my brains in a blender I would think better...I dunno... LOL02/27/2015 - 5:09pm
ZippyDSMleequestion. God this is what I get for writing for the last 3 days…. to much over damn thinking….02/27/2015 - 5:07pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: I was going to say… the basis of feminism(and many things) is group opinion, because she is a part of the group how can she not be influenced by and be lost in whose opinion starts where…but I guess that’s more an existential general human 02/27/2015 - 5:06pm
ZippyDSMleeoy vay this palce hates Noscript I dunno if tis the post being copied from word or scrit issues but it will not let me post sometimes.02/27/2015 - 5:00pm
Andrew EisenYes, I am not portraying her as someone who does not use opinions in her various talks and presentations.02/27/2015 - 4:59pm
ZippyDSMleeattack than think.02/27/2015 - 4:58pm
ZippyDSMleeI can admit a lot of the butthurt coming from the other side is frankly a conditioned response learned from past experiences of censorship and social moral crusades. Which it really is not but it’s a forest for the tree’s issue I guess and it’s easier to 02/27/2015 - 4:58pm