Linda McMahon: Videogame Character

May 19, 2010 -

It's hard to be a candidate who is a part of an industry that makes its money off of gratuitous violence. Linda McMahon, like California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, has made millions off of an industry that has no problems with using sex, violence and adult themes to sell its image. But the Connecticut senatorial candidate running in the Republican primary shares another distinction with the Governator: she's a playable video game character, as the video in this story shows.

In arguably one of the best wrestling video games ever made -- WWF No Mercy -- Linda, complete her husband's "Mac Stunner" finisher, is an unlockable, playable character. Linda is also part of a storyline involving her daughter Stephanie McMahon and real life husband Hunter Herst Helmsely. In the segment, which starts at the 4:10 mark and ends at the 5:29 mark, Linda enters the ring, makes a ruling on a world championship match against wrestler Kennedy and then gives both her daughter and Triple H a "Mac Stunner" after her daughter attempts to slap her across the face.

This is a retelling of a storyline that played out on the WWE's Monday Night RAW program many years ago, and it is not the only videogame she has appeared in over the years. Of course, being in a videogame is the least of Linda's problems given the nature of the wrestling business that she ran for 12 years and the multitude of controversies she is connected to.

As an example, read this editorial written by Chris Benoit's father (Michael Benoit) in today's edition of The Hartford Courant. Chris Benoit was the WWE wrestler that killed his wife and child before hanging himself in 2007.

Comments

Re: Linda McMahon: Videogame Character

Saint.

Re: Linda McMahon: Videogame Character

And she is running for or is part of?

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! CP/IP laws should not effect the daily life of common people! http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/

---

Re: Linda McMahon: Videogame Character

"But the Connecticut senatorial candidate running in the Republican primary..."

Andrew Eisen

Re: Linda McMahon: Videogame Character

Damnit......I missed that smalll bit loking at the wall of text >>

Ok so shes running as a reaper has she gone after media yet?

---

Re: Linda McMahon: Videogame Character

Not that I recall.  She has donated to Lieberman's campaign though.

Andrew Eisen

Re: Linda McMahon: Videogame Character

Ironic, considering that WWE was said to be highly critical of Lieberman during the 2000 election, according to Dave Meltzer(Wrestling Observer) and that Lieberman was a member of one of the Parent Trash Cult's advisory panels(who WWE was feuding with at the time).

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra. Hell will stay frozen over for quite a while since the Saints won the Super Bowl.

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Pelicans. Solidarity for the Saints = No retreat, no surrender. 2013 = Saints' revenge on the NFL. Even through the darkest days, this fire burns always.

Re: Linda McMahon: Videogame Character

Part me is wanting to see what the PTC wil lsay.

Re: Linda McMahon: Videogame Character

My guess is that the Paarent Trash Cult will say nothing about Linda McMahon, since they've said nothing about WWE programming since they had to pay $3.5 million to settle WWE's lawsuit against them.

Poll

Should ‘sexism’ factor into a video game’s rating?:

Andrew EisenLink?11/20/2014 - 4:13pm
Wonderkarplook deep for it....reaching much. those kinds of people are what urk me.11/20/2014 - 4:07pm
WonderkarpI got upset the other day when a known feminist blog wrote a large article on how the demo to Pokemon Omega Ruby was Sexist cause you couldnt play as a girl. It was a Demo....who cares? but they went off on how Pokemon in general is sexist but you gotta11/20/2014 - 4:06pm
Andrew EisenHere's the panel that Sarkeesian quote from earlier comes from. Amazing what the proper context does, isn't it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0qxtKz2vZw11/20/2014 - 3:32pm
NeenekoSomething to keep in mind, we tend to look at physics as 'hard', but math and physics are trivial compared to soc/psych (I have worked in both), but FEELS like it should be simplier.11/20/2014 - 3:17pm
NeenekoI think what tends to make discussing sexism in games difficult is scale, the issues tend to be systemic in nature, but bite sized examples are not... and the systemic part ties into a lot of dry academic stuff requiring domain knowledge not everyone has.11/20/2014 - 3:16pm
Wonderkarpand I jumped for joy when the Cogs went multigendered in GOW. but I also like male protagonists like Kratos or Nathan Drake or Link.11/20/2014 - 2:58pm
Wonderkarp..it needs female options. thats why I prefer biowares games. My Shepard was female(Jennifer Hale <3) and my skyrim player was female. I prefer female characters. But I dont think its a sexism issue. More and more females are coming.11/20/2014 - 2:55pm
WonderkarpMonte, I would argue that with Tomb Raiders sales....remember me though....personally I like games with character customization. I was one of those people miffed at ACUnity over no female assassins. if you give us customization, unless its a sports game..11/20/2014 - 2:53pm
Matthew WilsonI argue it hass less to do with femalw lead, and more to do with marketing and game quality. remember me did not sell bad becouse of a female lead, it was a bad game.11/20/2014 - 2:48pm
MonteWonderKarp, Games with female protgonists have a much harder time. Many publishers shy away from them because they don't think they will sell and many games that do get greenlit wind up getting less marketting or downplay the females in their marketting.11/20/2014 - 2:44pm
Andrew EisenUnfortunately, Thompson is so intertwined with our beat that when he shows up in another story that's right in our wheelhouse, we kinda have to cover him, despite how over him a lot of our readership may be. Anything else you consider "tabloidish"?11/20/2014 - 2:40pm
Wonderkarpand they just did!11/20/2014 - 2:24pm
WonderkarpMy Amiibos Shipped!!! Now Amazon needs to mark my Smash Bros as Shipped11/20/2014 - 2:24pm
WonderkarpI do a lot of streaming and eventually I'll be doing some lets plays. (my cohost lives a while from me but hopefully I'll be moving soon). I will say I keep my lets plays and streams 100% free of any of my political views.11/20/2014 - 2:22pm
WonderkarpBut I'm a Gamer before a GPer :P anywho. I think I'd like to see less stories that seem tabloidish that repeat themselves. Unless like, something serious happened, I dont need to hear about (Example) Jack Thompson on a tv show saying the same thing he did11/20/2014 - 2:13pm
NeenekoI align with wonderkarp on this issue, I may disagree and complain, but things are professional and polite enough here that it seems worth being disagreeable ^_^11/20/2014 - 2:12pm
james_fudgeBesides, you're a GPer first and a GGer second ;)11/20/2014 - 2:06pm
james_fudgeIf we all agreed the world would be a boring place11/20/2014 - 2:05pm
james_fudgeWonderkarp: we do appreciate your support and we're glad you're here.11/20/2014 - 2:05pm