Look Out Natal: Ugly Gloves Yield Cool Gesture Tech

May 20, 2010 -

While Microsoft’s Project Natal Xbox 360 add-on has been rumored to have a price tag of around $200, MIT researchers have created a gesture-based computer interface that requires only a cheap pair of colored Lycra gloves (in addition to a webcam).

Billed as low-latency, Grad student Robert Wang, from MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory sees the most “obvious application” for the invention as videogames.

The technology, as noted on MIT’s website, is based on “a new algorithm for rapidly looking up visual data in a database.”

Colors used on the gloves were specifically chosen so that they could easily be distinguished from each other by the computer.

A quick explanation of how it works:

Once a webcam has captured an image of the glove, Wang’s software crops out the background, so that the glove alone is superimposed upon a white background. Then the software drastically reduces the resolution of the cropped image, to only 40 pixels by 40 pixels.

Finally, it searches through a database containing myriad 40-by-40 digital models of a hand, clad in the distinctive glove, in a range of different positions. Once it’s found a match, it simply looks up the corresponding hand position.

While early versions of the technology took up to half-an-hour to calibrate, advancements implemented by the MIT team have reduced that figure to about “three seconds.”

Plus, if you happen to already possess a Technicolor Dreamcoat, the gloves might serve as a fashionable accessory.

Comments

Re: Look Out Natal: Ugly Gloves Yield Cool Gesture Tech

Microsoft against MIT minds.......mmmmm.......I like it.

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Re: Look Out Natal: Ugly Gloves Yield Cool Gesture Tech

I think it's some very clever stuff, kind of sad to see some people see it as a 'cheap knock-off', because, obviously, only stuff you pay through your nose for is worth paying any attention to....

Re: Look Out Natal: Ugly Gloves Yield Cool Gesture Tech

Well, that's the whole thought process behind MS's game consoles, as well as the PS3 and accessories...

---

With the first link, the chain is forged.

--- With the first link, the chain is forged.

Re: Look Out Natal: Ugly Gloves Yield Cool Gesture Tech

Nintendo has both been there and done that.

Re: Look Out Natal: Ugly Gloves Yield Cool Gesture Tech

Do you mean the Power Glove?  I thought that thing didn't work.

Re: Look Out Natal: Ugly Gloves Yield Cool Gesture Tech

The angry video game nerd proved that it dosen't work often

Watching JT on GP is just like watching an episode of Jerry springer only as funny as the fights

America has just became its own version of the Jerry Springer Show after a bizarre moment in Florida involving a carnival worker.

Re: Look Out Natal: Ugly Gloves Yield Cool Gesture Tech

Exactly.

Re: Look Out Natal: Ugly Gloves Yield Cool Gesture Tech

Exactly.  IMO, it's Sony that needs to look out, not MS, since it's Sony that said motion control in gaming was just a gimmick.

---

With the first link, the chain is forged.

--- With the first link, the chain is forged.

Re: Look Out Natal: Ugly Gloves Yield Cool Gesture Tech

Oh no microsoft better watch out from some crappy knock off.

Poll