Killzone 2 Wins Ivor Novello Award

May 21, 2010 -

The British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors announced the winners of 55th annual Ivor Novello Awards. In amongst various awards you'll find "Best Original Video Game Score," which was awarded to Sony Computer Entertainment Europe and Guerrilla Games for Killzone 2.

Killzone 2 was nominated for best video game score alongside Savage Moon: Waldgeist and Total Empire: Total War. Killzone 2's soundtrack was composed by Joris de Man and recorded at the Abbey Road studios in London.

The Ivors celebrate the work of songwriters, composers and music publishers. Having a video game category is a step in the right direction for all involved and a testament to gaming's influence in mainstream culture. The Ivor Novello awards were held at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London yesterday. I leave you with some kind words about video games from Ivors committee director Mark Fishlock:

"The Ivors has always sought to reflect the ever-changing world of song-writing and composing," said Mark Fishlock, director of the Ivors Committee. "The video games market has matured beyond recognition and big budget orchestral scores are regularly being commissioned."

Source: CVG

Posted in

Comments

Re: Killzone 2 Wins Ivor Novello Award

The only game music I ever ordered as a CD was the soundtrack to The Last Express. However, that has more to do with the fact that I don't buy much music than it has to do with the quality of game music. There are some great composers out there working on video games, and I'm happy that they are now beginning to be recognized more widely thanks to awards like this. This all serves to counter the ridiculous witch hunt against the industry.

Re: Killzone 2 Wins Ivor Novello Award

The music in games is amazing to listen to sometimes. I will sometimes download the songs from sites & before I do that, I will go to youtube to listen to the songs first, before I download it. :D

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

PHX Corphttp://www.polygon.com/2015/7/27/9050375/street-fighter-5-beta-offline-delayed Street Fighter 5 beta taken offline, now postponed indefinitely07/27/2015 - 9:51pm
Goth_Skunk@eZeek: Noooooooooo.... ;)07/27/2015 - 8:44pm
MechaTama31Re: Google+, wow. I never in a million years thought they would backpedal on that. I just resigned myself to not using commenting functions on any of their services.07/27/2015 - 6:21pm
E. Zachary KnightGoth, are you saying all women are fat. ;)07/27/2015 - 5:38pm
benohawkMake it more adorable and more gender neutral! Widescreen Dog and 16:9 their 16 kitten sidekicks07/27/2015 - 5:15pm
Goth_SkunkOr, if you prefer, Widescreen Woman.07/27/2015 - 4:12pm
Goth_SkunkWho will save us from this abominable practice?! Introducing WIDESCREEN MAN and his sidekick 16:9!07/27/2015 - 4:10pm
Andrew EisenInteresting coincidence. I tweeted about the evils of vertically oriented video just last night. https://twitter.com/AndrewEisen/status/62549836960397312007/27/2015 - 4:01pm
PHX Corphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ_I9-CkzDE The Great Atari Ransack (The Jimquisition) Warning Vertical video syndrome in one scene07/27/2015 - 3:40pm
MattsworknameBout time google07/27/2015 - 3:33pm
james_fudgeugh. TG man :)07/27/2015 - 1:15pm
MechaCrashGoogle drops Google+ requirements for YouTube and other services: http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/27/google-is-dropping-its-google-requirement-across-all-products-starting-with-youtube/07/27/2015 - 12:55pm
benohawkThat still isn't Steam pay royalties. At best it is Bethesda not being willing to relicense the music,07/27/2015 - 12:51pm
Infophile(cont'd) different service. This often happened with TV shows, where music was only licensed for broadcast, but not for DVD release. So for many older shows, they either have to relicense it or use different/no music for the DVD release.07/27/2015 - 12:36pm
Infophile@benohawk: It most likely comes down to the original licensing agreement for the music in it. Often those agreements only license it for the medium it first releases in, so it has to be re-licensed if it's rereleased in a different form or through a ...07/27/2015 - 12:35pm
benohawkWhy would steam be paying royalties on anything in quake?07/27/2015 - 12:01pm
black mantaI recommend using the KMQuake II patch which supports .ogg music files, then downloading the music from someplace, then dropping it in to a music folder into the \baseq2 directory.07/27/2015 - 10:32am
black mantaI got Quake 2 during the Steam Quakecon sale. Funny thing is, there's no music for it! Guess Steam didn't want to pay the royalty fees or something.07/27/2015 - 10:30am
black mantaLike EZK, I also have a backlog of games. Right now I'm playing Crysis 3 for the first time, and replaying Quake 2.07/27/2015 - 10:29am
E. Zachary KnightZippy, No. It is because I have a backlog of games a mile long and have not bought to many new games, which includes Mass Effect.07/27/2015 - 9:28am