Killzone 2 Wins Ivor Novello Award

May 21, 2010 -

The British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors announced the winners of 55th annual Ivor Novello Awards. In amongst various awards you'll find "Best Original Video Game Score," which was awarded to Sony Computer Entertainment Europe and Guerrilla Games for Killzone 2.

Killzone 2 was nominated for best video game score alongside Savage Moon: Waldgeist and Total Empire: Total War. Killzone 2's soundtrack was composed by Joris de Man and recorded at the Abbey Road studios in London.

The Ivors celebrate the work of songwriters, composers and music publishers. Having a video game category is a step in the right direction for all involved and a testament to gaming's influence in mainstream culture. The Ivor Novello awards were held at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London yesterday. I leave you with some kind words about video games from Ivors committee director Mark Fishlock:

"The Ivors has always sought to reflect the ever-changing world of song-writing and composing," said Mark Fishlock, director of the Ivors Committee. "The video games market has matured beyond recognition and big budget orchestral scores are regularly being commissioned."

Source: CVG

Posted in

Comments

Re: Killzone 2 Wins Ivor Novello Award

The only game music I ever ordered as a CD was the soundtrack to The Last Express. However, that has more to do with the fact that I don't buy much music than it has to do with the quality of game music. There are some great composers out there working on video games, and I'm happy that they are now beginning to be recognized more widely thanks to awards like this. This all serves to counter the ridiculous witch hunt against the industry.

Re: Killzone 2 Wins Ivor Novello Award

The music in games is amazing to listen to sometimes. I will sometimes download the songs from sites & before I do that, I will go to youtube to listen to the songs first, before I download it. :D

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Craig R.Ok, my internal debate was short-lived. If Win10 is still a year out, I'm not waiting that long for an SSD, so on Win7 I will remain.09/30/2014 - 7:52pm
Matthew Wilsonits called windows 10, and I am happy to get the start menu back.09/30/2014 - 7:18pm
Jessy HartIs this stuff about Windows 10 legit? Is it actually called Windows 10 or is it just some stupid joke?09/30/2014 - 6:57pm
ZippyDSMleeSo I been trying to play Bioshock Infinite I got all the DLC,ect but do not want the extras to make your charatcer over powered from the start.....they force you to take them which is quite annoying......09/30/2014 - 6:45pm
Craig R.I need to upgrade to an SSD, still seriously debating moving to Win8.1 from 7 at the same time09/30/2014 - 6:07pm
Craig R.Win10 is probably Win8.1 with more cleanup and the Start button back.09/30/2014 - 6:06pm
Sora-ChanAhh, it's just weird seeing someone's post all of a sudden have replies from days prior before it was posted due to that.09/30/2014 - 5:49pm
MechaTama31sora: I broke the ordering intentionally, as AE's and my conversation had squeezed the text boxes down to be quite slim. I replied to an earlier post of his instead of the one I was actually replying to.09/30/2014 - 5:46pm
MechaTama31So, 9 would have been the good one, but they are skipping it to do two crap ones in a row?09/30/2014 - 5:41pm
Sora-ChanSo, judging from the poll post for #gamergate, it looks like too many thread replies breaks the ordering of posts, as seen with the recent post from Infophile.09/30/2014 - 5:31pm
Andrew EisenOr no! It wasn't Y3K compliant. Microsoft thought it best to super future proof its OS and skipped straight to 10 which is Y3K compliant!09/30/2014 - 5:01pm
Andrew EisenJust tell them it wasn't Y2K compliant.09/30/2014 - 5:00pm
Craig R.Looking forward to having to explain to coworkers down the road what ever happened to 9 *sigh*09/30/2014 - 4:57pm
Craig R.2k was crap. XP was solid, 7 is good, 8.1 is actually really good once you make it look like 7 :)09/30/2014 - 4:52pm
Sora-Chan@MP As someone who has used each version of windows since 3.1... I prefer Vista over 7 for various reasons. The only thing I give 7 over Vista is preformance. They really screwed up a bunch of things when making 7. Also, XP was a pain. 2k was better.09/30/2014 - 4:13pm
Jessy Hart@E. Zachary Knight Is that show called Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures?09/30/2014 - 3:34pm
IanCWin 8 isn't bad, it just can't decide whether to be a desktop OS or a tablet OS.09/30/2014 - 2:40pm
IanCI think its a way of getting round giving it free to Win 8 users...09/30/2014 - 2:39pm
MaskedPixelanteWindows alternates between bad and good versions. XP was good, Vista sucked, 7 was good, 8 sucked, therefore 10 will suck, QED.09/30/2014 - 2:18pm
E. Zachary KnightPerhaps they are calling it "10" because on a scale of 1-10 of how awesome it is, it is a clear 10.09/30/2014 - 2:06pm