Study Examines Posture of Young Gamers

June 1, 2010 -

Glinn & Giordano, a California-based physical therapy business, recently conducted a study which focused on the posture of gamers between the ages of five and fifteen.

The study, done in conjunction with the Cal State Bakersfield Department of Physical Education, watched the youngsters as they played a title for five minutes. Preliminary findings, as offered by Bakersfield.com, suggested that “posture became worse as the five minutes wore on and that children sitting in chairs had better posture both at the start and finish than did those sitting on the floor.”

Glinn & Giordano’s Brian Monroe, a Doctor of Physical Therapy, therefore recommended that games should be played from a chair “with feet flat on the ground and back support." He also suggested that parents should correct the posture of their kids if they see a forward-leaning head, rounded shoulders and/or the lower back rounding forward.

Full results of the study will be released in a few weeks.

Comments

Re: Study Examines Posture of Young Gamers

If he thinks that's bad, he better not even attempt to look at kids reading. I don't know about you, but I usually sprawl out pretty good when I got a book in hand.

Watching TV? that means I am laying down or as best I can stretch out to watch it.

Playing games? Sitting up right, inclined forward, and a look of concentration on my face. Except for Monster Hunter, I veg out to that game.

"

Re: Study Examines Posture of Young Gamers

Thats interesting. When i was a kid i had board games, lego and action figures to keep me amused. Since we only had one TV i couldnt play on my master system (ah nostalgia) constantly.

How often do you think i sat on a chair to do any of that?

If anything playing on consoles meant i was sitting on the sofa more than i would of been otherwise.

Re: Study Examines Posture of Young Gamers

"children sitting in chairs had better posture both at the start and finish than did those sitting on the floor.”

No shit Sherlock.

Poll

Whose next half decade of superhero films are you most looking forward to?:

Neo_DrKefkaAnyone remember that portrait from Resident Evil 1 in the gallery about a Middle Aged man full of worries? Anyone know the name of that portrait?10/31/2014 - 12:45am
MechaTama31Yeah, don't see myself getting a Vita or a PSTV...10/31/2014 - 12:04am
E. Zachary KnightWatch Ultron ruin all your Disney childhood memories in this How The Ultron Teaser Should Have Ended. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra1sBRLRFtc10/30/2014 - 9:23pm
ZippyDSMleeConster:they finally made a working worth while PSP emulator.10/30/2014 - 8:10pm
quiknkoldMechatama31, you can get VC2 on the Vita and Vita TV. you have to buy it through PSN on PS3 and transfer it to vita and then playstation tv. I have it on my PS TV and it works10/30/2014 - 7:15pm
MechaTama31I loved Valkyria Chronicles. Still super cheesed off that the sequels were PSP-only... :/10/30/2014 - 6:57pm
ConsterI played Steamworld Dig on the 3DS, and it's pretty fun.10/30/2014 - 6:51pm
Matthew WilsonRECOMMENDED: OS: Windows 7 Processor: Intel Core2 Duo @ 2.8GHz (or equivalent) Memory: 3 GB RAM Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 (or equivalent) Hard Drive: 25 GB available space10/30/2014 - 5:49pm
Matthew Wilsonhere hare the system requirements. make of ithem what you will. MINIMUM: OS: Windows Vista/Windows 7 Processor: Intel Core2 Duo @ 2.0GHz (or equivalent) Memory: 2 GB RAM Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240 (or equivalent) Hard Drive: 25 GB available spa10/30/2014 - 5:48pm
Andrew EisenStill a game I really want to play. Hope it's a solid port.10/30/2014 - 5:42pm
Matthew WilsonValkyria Chronicles pc port needs 25ggb. not bad exept this game came out in 08 on the ps3.10/30/2014 - 4:56pm
james_fudgeEZK: my sarcasm senses are tingling ;)10/30/2014 - 4:21pm
Andrew EisenIf it's any consolation, Xbox owners, Wii U owners don't get the game at all. And if we did, we'd probably never get the DLC.10/30/2014 - 4:19pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://kotaku.com/destinys-new-dlc-kinda-screws-over-xbox-players-1652294153 Sucks when the shoe's on the other foot, huh.10/30/2014 - 4:12pm
E. Zachary KnightSo a vocational school in Oklahoma is being evacuated because someone found a briefcase in the bathroom. Imagine that. A briefcase ina school. That's unpossible.10/30/2014 - 3:33pm
prh99Also, Nintendo wants to watch you sleep..for Science! (*in best Cave Johnson voice) http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/10/nintendo-wants-to-watch-you-sleep-for-science/10/30/2014 - 2:47pm
prh99I got it in a Humble Bundle, it's ok but the hype is definitely over blown. Also, only being able dig in the four cardinal directions made for some irksome digging..10/30/2014 - 2:38pm
E. Zachary KnightI enjoyed it. It was very short, but rewarding and fun.10/30/2014 - 2:35pm
Andrew EisenAgainst my better judgement (game looks boring to me), I purchased Steamworld Dig. It's highly praised and it was on sale. Hopefully I'll be wrong about it and think it's as awesome as everyone else.10/30/2014 - 2:09pm
quiknkoldhttp://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/10/femme-doms-of-videogames-bayonetta-doesnt-care-if.html10/30/2014 - 1:15pm