Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

June 1, 2010 -

Ryan G. Van Cleave's new book about his battle with game addiction is in stores today. The book is called "Unplugged: My Journey Into The Dark World Of Video Game Addiction," and it details what the author calls a battle with "very serious addiction" to playing videogames. His level of addiction? He claims he spent 50 hours a week playing videogames which led to self-imposed alienation from friends and family, job loss, and bad health.

A press release this morning in support of the book offers a particularly hard to belive quote on what he experienced when he gave gaming up:

Though Van Cleave went cold turkey himself, experiencing weeks of fevers, chills, and uncontrollable shaking, he doesn’t recommend that for others.

Instead, he says moving gaming consoles to an area where the player can be monitored is the first step to recovery.

Comparing a video game addiction to symptoms associated with alcohol withdrawal (delirium tremens, or DT's) seems a bit disingenuous to me.. You might also want to check out Van Cleave's 2006 book "The Magical Breasts of Britney Spears" while you're at it. Find both on Amazon.com.

Comments

Re: Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

Writing a book about brittney having magical breasts & then writing a book about addicted gamers......I will take the writer as a joke.

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Re: Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

I have 8 full days logged in MW2 multiplayer.  That's 192 hours.

EDIT - that was supposed to be a reply to

Re: Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

Yeah. I have over 100 on Assassin's Creed 2 and it's not even an online game.

I looked at this guy's other titles and it strikes me that this book is obviously just some hack author's latest idea to make a fast buck.

Re: Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

"Even when he was sexually molested by a young school teacher at age eleven, it was the promise of a new video game that had lured him to her house."

WOW.  I think you got problems goin' deeper than video games, bro.  He does sound like the kind of guy who would go into convulsions while trying to quit.  Also, the page features a quote from our second-favourite scapegoater after JT, Brad from exgamer dot net.  I gotta go renew my library card, this sounds like a great summertime hammock read.

---
Fangamer

---
Fangamer

Re: Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

LOL, if 50 hours a week is considered addiction, I go through 'addiction' every time I buy a new game.

Re: Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

Wait, there's new games that actually are 50+ hours still? I thought they all became 5-7 hour bloomfests.

Re: Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

With extra content, replays and online play, a 4 hour game like CoD4 can easily be played for 50 hours plus.

Re: Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

"Though Van Cleave went cold turkey himself, experiencing weeks of fevers, chills, and uncontrollable shaking"

I honestly call BS on this line. Cigs, cocaine, heroine I can see cuasing thios, but not soemthing that's not even a substance you injest.

Re: Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

Yeah.. that line tells me that the author is not being honest....

james_fudgeNot I, said the fly.08/04/2015 - 4:31pm
Big PermAnyone use an Intel 750?08/04/2015 - 3:40pm
E. Zachary KnightSome great comments about gender diversity in game development from GDC Europe. http://gamasutra.com/view/news/250417/Women_in_the_game_industry_share_stories_of_improving_diversity.php08/04/2015 - 3:11pm
Sora-Chan@EZK: It's kind sad that kind of thing still occurs to this day (and for good reasons...)08/04/2015 - 2:33pm
E. Zachary KnightA woman author shares her experience submitting her manuscript to publishing agents under a man's name. http://jezebel.com/homme-de-plume-what-i-learned-sending-my-novel-out-und-172063762708/04/2015 - 1:21pm
james_fudgeme either. They are rolling it out in phases.08/04/2015 - 12:41pm
Big PermI haven't got my notification yet, even though I reserved it the day the pop up came.08/04/2015 - 12:27pm
james_fudgeThanks Matthew. I have not yet installed Windows 10, but the complaints about it have been minimal.08/04/2015 - 12:19pm
benohawkhttp://goo.gl/6yZ7EO suggests you can kill it all, but I haven't tested it on my system as of yet. And I wouldn't recommend digging in the registry or playing around withdisabling services for most users08/04/2015 - 12:18pm
Matthew Wilsonyes you can turn it off08/04/2015 - 12:15pm
james_fudgeCan you completely disable it though? I think you can minimize what it collects.08/04/2015 - 12:06pm
benohawkThe Win 10 data collection sounds scary, but I think it would be just too much data to be useful08/04/2015 - 11:57am
benohawkNo need to apologize Big Perm08/04/2015 - 11:55am
benohawkThe changing to 0 only being a 1 was local security policy change, not the reghack08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermSorry Beno, it looks like you're right.08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermFrom what I've heard (and obviously I could be wrong here), but I hear even setting it to "0" in the registry will only change to "1" or "Basic" collection. I'll try to find the article I got this from08/04/2015 - 11:40am
benohawkBig Perm, you can disable telemetry, just not through the gui. It's a matter of adding a registry key and disabling a couple services08/04/2015 - 11:34am
Big PermBlazers w/ t-shirts trigger me. This madness must be stopped08/04/2015 - 10:36am
PHX Corphttps://twitter.com/JimSterling Jim Sterling's commentary of the Xbox Gamescom event08/04/2015 - 9:34am
Big PermI'm talking about not being able to fully disable telemetry unless you have Enterprise software. It's just creepy to me08/04/2015 - 9:31am