Google Removes Android Tetris Clones

June 3, 2010 -

Google joins the BAN-wagon with Apple in removing Tetris-like games from its Android app store, according to Ars. The Tetris Company, which handles licensing for the popular franchise created by Alexei Pajitnov, has sent a DMCA takedown to Google, who in turn has eliminated all Teris-like games from its store.

35 Tetris-like games have been removed from the Android market - even though many of them didn't use any art or knock off names that might trick users into thinking the games were the "real deal."

Tetris Company's challenge to these games, according to ARS, is that they "infringe on the game's trade dress, which is protected under the Lanham Act" (see bitlaw.com for the actual law). Trade dress relates to the "likeness of a product" and deals with copy cat products that might be confused with the real product.

The official game created by EA sucks, says Ars. I'll take their word for it.

Comments

Re: Google Removes Android Tetris Clones

Reminds me of how First Star Software had a whack-a-mole against all sorts of Boulder Dash clones a few years ago, just before they announced the "Boulder Dash Rocks" game. Okay, they didn't go about killing *that* many clones, but they weren't civil about it, either.

Oh, and I can confirm about the official EA Tetris on PSP. It does suck. It has no multiplayer in any way, shape or form. That may however be a Sony restriction. But! You don't get to compare (or even save) your highscores. Because ... the game doesn't *have* scores. Yes. I'm not kidding. And in Marathon mode, all you do is try to beat the highest difficulty. You can really beat and finish Tetris, there.

Re: Google Removes Android Tetris Clones

First, the Tetris company already proved to be run by some sort of assholes, if you search around Tetris fan forums, they HATE tetris company because its frequent take-down of great Tetris clones (like, Sega version of it, when they used a different rotation system than the current enforced one SRS, and also used a different piece randomizer, that actually works better, proved mathematically).

And the DCMA, that allow such assholeness is one of the most broken laws ever. The DCMA is called here as "monopoly law" because what it do is enforce monopolies, by both bashing other companies, costumers, scientists... Even foreign people (like the russian math guy, arrested when he went to the US give a speech, his field of work is cryptoanalysis, a field that the DCMA makes illegal).

criadordejogos.wordpress.com

--- MaurĂ­cio Gomes twitter.com/agfgames

Re: Google Removes Android Tetris Clones

My experience with this only encouraged me to think that The Tetris Company is stifling innovation. Last year they took over a very fun Tetris style Facebook game, gutted everything that was good about it and replaced it with a lesser game. I don't mind Tetris getting their dues, but I do mind when they ruin perfectly good games in order to do it.

Re: Google Removes Android Tetris Clones

When they say "Tetris clones," do they mean games that outright copies Tetris, or just games with a similar idea like Collapse?

Re: Google Removes Android Tetris Clones

Those that copy Tetris outright.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

MattsworknameBIG: how does that make sense?08/05/2015 - 12:18am
Big PermLenny Kravitz penis has been trending all day08/04/2015 - 11:45pm
MattsworknameSo far, Win 8 gave me nothing but problems08/04/2015 - 11:18pm
MattsworknameI;ll see what I can come up with tomarow08/04/2015 - 11:16pm
ZippyDSMleethose is the issue.08/04/2015 - 10:47pm
ZippyDSMleeOdd, even with admin? I have UAC turned off so I do not have to fuss with it too much, also in order to run FO3/NV you need DX,VC++ 010, mmm might try and download VC++ distro pack both 32 and 64bit from 8 to 2012 or so and isntall them see if one of thos08/04/2015 - 10:46pm
MattsworknameTried that 2 zippy, it still wouldn't work08/04/2015 - 10:43pm
ZippyDSMleeI have had to run NV in compatibility mode before. I have both FO3 and NV running fine with a bunch of mods on win8.108/04/2015 - 10:24pm
MattsworknameI did the direct x 9 fix, issue remains08/04/2015 - 10:13pm
MattsworknameI've had issues with it since the start really, as soon as I tried to run it on Win 8.1, vegas woudl crash as soon as i launched it, even when using the base game08/04/2015 - 10:12pm
MattsworknameManta: I run into issues the moment I try to use any mods. and some times even no mods08/04/2015 - 10:09pm
MattsworknameChris ray gun on the gawker media scandel from a few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGv0KTV9IM08/04/2015 - 10:08pm
black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm
Big PermOh wow, yeah cleared my entire history and now suggestions are subs instead08/04/2015 - 9:15pm
Big PermI think you can mecha. Unless it's just removing it from your UI and still tracking it behind the scenes08/04/2015 - 9:11pm
MechaTama31It would be nice if Youtube just let you delete a video from your history, like Netflix does.08/04/2015 - 9:09pm
black mantaF3 and NV have long been since fixed. They run great on Windows 8 and 8.1. And there's also the Unofficial Patch for F3 and the Mission Mojave patch for NV in case they don't.08/04/2015 - 9:05pm
MattsworknameYeah Big, but for those who had the game for long times, it is to late for that08/04/2015 - 8:43pm