Second Life Interview Sparked Whitman Assault

June 15, 2010 -

Anger over being unprepared for an interview with Reuters in the virtual world Second Life reportedly led California Republican gubernatorial candidate—and ex-eBay CEO—Meg Whitman, to push an employee.

The incident took place on June 1, 2007, when eBay employee Young Mi Kim was helping Whitman prep for the interview. The New York Times reports Kim told a fellow employee that Whitman uttered a profanity and shoved her. In Whitman’s version of the exchange, she claimed to have “physically guided” Kim out of the room.

Kim eventually returned to work at eBay, but only after a four-month vacancy and a reported six-figure settlement, which some eBay workers put at around $200,000.

Whitman described Kim as a “respected colleague and valuable asset to the company.” Kim stated that, “Yes, we had an unfortunate incident, but we resolved it in a way that speaks well for her and for eBay.”

Whitman easily won the Republican primary in California, garnering 64.4 percent of the vote, easily outdistancing second place finisher Steve Poizner, who received 26.8 percent of the vote.

Comments

Re: Second Life Interview Sparked Whitman Assault

The $200,000 shove =D

Re: Second Life Interview Sparked Whitman Assault

/facepalm

that is all.

PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm