Best Buy Makes Used Game Move, Launches @Gamer

June 16, 2010 -

Amidst a litany of other new initiatives the company plans, electronics retailer Best Buy announced this week that it plans to roll out a used game trade-in program later this summer. Consumers will be able to bring in those used games and trade them for Best Buy gift cards that can be used to buy "anything in the store."

Trade-ins will take place at your local Best Buy's service desk -- and in some stores - "dedicated Trade-In desk within the gaming department." Best Buy also plans on launching a program at BestBuy.com that will allow gamers to get "estimates" on trade-in values and allow them to mail their games (for free) to Best Buy and receive a Best Buy gift card 7-14 days later.

Naturally, Best Buy will also sell those used games that it buys, which will all be backed by the company's return policy.

Best Buy also revealed details on "@Gamer: The Official Gaming Magazine of Best Buy." Here's more from Best Buy:

As previously announced, @Gamer will be available by subscription and in all Best Buy locations in the United States this month. The magazine will focus on providing both hard-core and casual gamers with relevant information on the hottest games and gaming hardware. Additionally, subscribers to @Gamer receive exclusive offers, worth hundreds of dollars in savings annually, towards future gaming purchases at Best Buy. The first issue will include nearly $150 worth of exclusive offers with subsequent issues each including at least $20 worth of offers. The annual subscription price for 10 issues of @Gamer is $19.99 and the in-store edition is priced at $5.99 per issue. Anyone can subscribe or purchase a single issue of the magazine. However, customers must be enrolled in Best Buy's free gaming loyalty program, Reward Zone Gamers Club, in order to redeem the @Gamer offers. For more information visit www.atgamermagazine.com .

@Gamer is being run by former IGN editor Andy Eddy.

Posted in

Comments

Re: Best Buy Makes Used Game Move, Launches @Gamer

As long as this puts a stop (at least a dent) to Gamestop's monopoly on the used games market, it can only be a good thing.

Re: Best Buy Makes Used Game Move, Launches @Gamer

I'm hoping moves like this put a damper on the industry's anti-used game campaign. Right now, their plans will only hurt places like Gamestop, but if more companies get into the used market, the same plans would hurt a number of game retailers and might put in the industry in a bad spot if they piss off their retail outlets. It'll also be nice for the consumer if we can get some used game competition because it might force used game buyers to offer better buyback prices.

Re: Best Buy Makes Used Game Move, Launches @Gamer

Actually, Gamestop IS a retail outlet, it simply sells used games as well. I don't think this will really affect the industry's "We want more money" mentality.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Re: Best Makes Used Game Move, Launches @Gamer