Wisconsin Scales Back Film, Interactive Tax Incentives

June 16, 2010 -

Thanks in part to the 2009 Johnny Depp movie Public Enemies, the state of Wisconsin has scaled back tax incentives that were aimed at luring film, television and videogame makers to the Badger State.

Funding for the Department of Commerce-backed program has been reduced to $500,000 per year, while in earlier years there was no limit placed on incentives. The budget thresholds for eligible productions were also lowered however, to $50,000 for film projects and $100,000 for game developments.

While more aggressive incentives did manage to lure the Public Enemies production to Wisconsin, after doling out $4.6 million in tax credits to the production, it was estimated that the filming of the movie only brought in $5 million in local economic activity, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

Commerce Department spokesman Tony Hozeny said, “The bang for the buck just wasn’t there.”

Hozeny indicated that three current game projects were being funded under the current program, to the tune of $152,900.

Comments

Re: Wisconsin Scales Back Film, Interactive Tax Incentives

I'm not so much ashamed as I am disappointed. :\

I'd love to see more game jobs come to my state as opposed to being across the country. On the other hand, though, I dont' want to see my tax dollars blown on some scheme that doesn't bring in the money.

Re: Wisconsin Scales Back Film, Interactive Tax Incentives

I am so ashamed of my home state right now.

Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm