FEMA, DHS Back Disaster Hero Game

June 17, 2010 -

Legacy Interactive has announced plans to create a web-based game designed to teach kids how to prepare for hazards and emergencies.

Disaster Hero is being developed in conjunction with the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP), with funding from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and, in turn, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), under which FEMA operates. Due out sometime in 2011, the game promises to “focus on what to do before, during and after a disaster,” with an emphasis on “getting an emergency kit, having an emergency plan and being informed.”

ACEP President Dr. Angela Gardner added, "This project to develop an educational program for children using a game platform will be a unique approach to teaching kids to have an active role in home disaster planning.”

FEMA claimed to have research which showed that “despite imminent threats and increased media attention, Americans today are no better prepared for a natural disaster or terrorist attack than they were in 2003.”

Research figures indicating the government’s preparedness for such disasters were not provided.

Comments

Re: FEMA, DHS Back Disaster Hero Game

dont forget canabalism its a viable tactic in some situations haha

Re: FEMA, DHS Back Disaster Hero Game

So will the game allow players to create, say, a 3 week emergency food supply and wait for 3 months for FEMA to show up with government aid? Will the player be allowed to loot local closed grocery stores for food to fill that gap and then be arrested for it?

Come on. They need to make it realistic.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: FEMA, DHS Back Disaster Hero Game

I have to say, if I were in Oklahoma, you'd have my vote for that post alone.

Matthew Wilsonmetaphorically speaking of course04/17/2015 - 9:40pm