Linda McMahon, WWE Sued by Owen Hart's Widow

June 22, 2010 -

Connecticut senatorial candidate Linda McMahon, her husband Vince McMahon Jr., and their company, World Wrestling Entertainment, are being sued by the widow of Owen Hart, according to the Associated Press. McMahon, who is probably the only candidate running in the 2010 election cycle to appear in a WWE videogame, is vying for the senate seat being vacated by Chris Dodd.

Owen's widow, Martha Hart, is suing the McMahons and the WWE because the company continues to use her husband's image to promote the WWE. Martha does not want Owen Hart's name associated with the WWE in any way. Martha Hart planned to file her lawsuit Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Hartford.

Owen Hart, brother of Brett "The Hitman" Hart, died when he fell 78 feet from a harness as it lowered him into a wrestling ring in Kansas City, Mo., on May 23, 1999. He was 34. Martha settled a lawsuit with the WWE concerning Owen's death in 2000. In a written statement Martha explained why she is suing the WWE now:

"In the 11 years since Owen's tragic and avoidable death, I have worked tirelessly to disassociate Owen's name and likeness from anything related to WWE in order to protect our children from any reminder of the circumstances surrounding their father's death, and to avoid any misplaced perception that I endorse WWE," she said in a statement.

The WWE and Linda McMahon's Senate campaign are not commenting on the lawsuit at this time, but are expected to release statements later today.

Source: CNBC

Comments

Re: Linda McMahon, WWE Sued by Owen Hart's Widow

Well, I don't think Ms. Hart has a leg to stand on here, because I'm pretty sure Owen signed a contract allowing the WWF (now WWE) to use his likeness however they saw fit, and I doubt there was any sort of time limit on it, since they still show wrestlers from the 60's and 70's in advertisements.

---

With the first link, the chain is forged.

--- With the first link, the chain is forged.

Re: Linda McMahon, WWE Sued by Owen Hart's Widow

I think the WWE owns all the images of Owen Hart when he was under contract.  Since that is the case I think that they can use it however they wish.  Owen was one of my favorites when I watched the WWE and I do feel for Martha but in the end his character when he was in the ring belongs to the WWE, and to us.  The fans.

Re: Linda McMahon, WWE Sued by Owen Hart's Widow

Even so, it's better that he be remembered than forgotten.

Re: Linda McMahon, WWE Sued by Owen Hart's Widow

"I have worked tirelessly to disassociate Owen's name and likeness from anything related to WWE in order to protect our children from any reminder of the circumstances surrounding their father's death"

Holocaust deniers, 9/11 deniers, and now Owen Hart deniers.

Re: Linda McMahon, WWE Sued by Owen Hart's Widow

I still do have sympathy for Martha and her children, but Owen belonged to us WWE fans too.

WWE is promoting Owen in a very postive light and he should be remembered and celebrated for the talented wrestler and person he was.

Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm