Capitol Hill Scene of Family Game Night Tonight

June 23, 2010 -

Microsoft and its Get Game Smart initiative, in cooperation with Representatives Mike Rogers (R-Mich.), Bobby Scott (D-Va.), John Shimkus (R-Ill.) and Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.), are hosting what’s being billed as the first Capitol Hill Family Game Night this evening.

With the event, the organizers hope to educate attendees and families on “how to enjoy video games and online media in ways that are safer, healthier and more balanced.” Members of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington, and their families, will also attend.

Wasserman Schultz offered, “The very same computers that help our children study and literally place the world’s knowledge at their fingertips can also open up a pathway to risky behavior.”

She continued, “Instead of preventing our children from using the computer or the Internet, or criminalizing speech online that would be permissible on the playground, we must instead teach children how to be good cybercitizens.”

Titles able to be played will include The Beatles: Rock Band, Lips: Number One Hits and Forza Motorsport 3. Microsoft will also demo Kodu, described as a visual programming language, accessible to kids, that enables anyone to create games.

Shimkus added, “Bringing parental involvement and industry together is vital in order to help protect children from inappropriate graphic violence and sexual situations.”

Comments

Re: Capitol Hill Scene of Family Game Night Tonight

I predict this will mainly be old politicians trying to play a bunch of simple Wii games. Expect a funny video of these events on Around the Net on AOTS tomorrow.

Re: Capitol Hill Scene of Family Game Night Tonight

I like the idea, only problem is will peopel attend? Too many politicians have values from an entirely different time in this nation's history, and already have their minds made up.

Poll