Odd Story of Judge and Defendant Gaming Together

June 25, 2010 -

A Circuit Court Judge for the 30th Circuit in Virginia has vacated his seat following a tale of a 2009 car crash following a night of videogames with a former defendant who had appeared before him in court.

TriCities.com carries the story of Circuit Judge Joseph Carico (pictured behind the bench) who crashed his SUV into a tree on November 21, 2009. Passenger Jeremy Hubbard was hurt in the crash, which happened after a night playing Halo 3 on the Xbox 360 and sports games on the Wii, the Judge’s “preferred gaming system,” according to Hubbard.

Hubbard’s and Carico’s paths had crossed in court as a result of a drug case against the former, in which the latter “had signed multiple orders revoking Hubbard’s bond and jailing him on the drug conviction and on a larceny case.” Carico also “signed three separate orders sentencing Hubbard to community service.”

Hubbard claimed that in 2008 Carico “happened” to stop into a Bonanza restaurant he was working in and the two started talking about games. “We just started talking about video games and he started talking about the X-Box 360,” Hubbard said.

The two “had many” videogame matches following their original meeting, and “At one point, they even considered forming a competition team that was to include some of Hubbard’s neighbors.”

The two have reportedly “lost touch” following the accident.

A notice on Virginia Lawyers Weekly states that Carico will not be sitting on the bench “until further notice.”

Image from the TimesNews

Comments

Re: Odd Story of Judge and Defendant Gaming Together

It seems shady that the judge has just dropped off the radar, if the article can be trusted, but this seems like it may be a case of the judge reaching out to this guy and helping him to straighten out his life.

Re: Odd Story of Judge and Defendant Gaming Together

Odd indeed.  Hard to make a call on the ethics of this -- it's not like they were hanging out before or during the time the defendant was before the judge; THAT would be an obvious conflict of interest.

prh99Personally, I just clicked the three vertical dots the first YouTube recommended one, haven't seen one since. Too bad I can't get rid of Pewdiepie video recommendations that easily.02/01/2015 - 3:19am
prh99Just don't watch the videos, who cares what she does or doesn't do. If her audience likes it so be, if they think she's doing something she shouldn't they'll stop watching.02/01/2015 - 3:14am
Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm